Monday, Sept. 30

Lake to bring smooth sound to Russian Recording

Ambient independent pop band Lake will perform with Karl Blau 9 p.m. Saturday at Russian Recording on 1021 S. Walnut St. Cover will be $8. 

Lake recently released their new album “Let’s Build a Roof!”

Band member Eli Moore said the album title is a metaphor. It is the idea of everyone coming together when there is a need to do something, he said. 

Many songs on the album talk about roofs collapsing as well.

“A roof protects you so if it’s neglected it collapses which means different things to different people about fixing things in their lives,” he said. 

Moore said the album is not quite as upbeat as previous albums, but there is still a realistic balance of elements between optimistic ballads and presenting a “dark, frustrated image.” He said the Lake’s musical influences include the Beatles and Fleetwood Mac.

It is not a singular vision, but a collective thing when we write and record songs, he said. Moore said although he misses the improvisation of playing solo, he enjoys interaction between band members on stage.

“We are not a bar or a creepy basement,” Russian Recording owner Mike Bridavsky said. “People actually come to the show to hear the music so there isn’t a problem with people talking too loud.”

Bridavsky said that the studio records the bands live set for free, adding that Lake really appreciates that the quality of sound is really good.