Monday, Sept. 30

'Last Comic' Josh Blue performs at Stone Belt's 50th anniversary

Belt Out Laughing

On Thursday, Stone Belt, a local not-for-profit organization that provides support and education for individuals with disabilities, celebrated its 50th anniversary with the “Belt Out Laughing!” comedy fundraiser. The event, which took place at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, featured Last Comic Standing’s season four winner Josh Blue as the headliner, with opening acts by comedians Andrew Orvedahl and local favorite Brad Wilhelm.

Stone Belt decided to organize a comedy event because it fell in line with the work that they have already done within the Bloomington area.

“We really feel that in the past 50 years that Stone Belt has added joy to the community because we’ve given thousands of people the opportunity to maximize their potential for success,” Stone Belt Development Director Amy Jackson said.

Clearly, this trend of bringing joy to people was continued through “Belt Out Laughing!”
After a slide show commemorating Stone Belt’s first fifty years, the evening began with an inspirational Stone Belt client, who has nonverbal cerebral palsy, teaching the audience that along with her disability comes the ability to view the world in unique ways.

Then the comedy started as the night’s emcee, Wilhelm, took the stage. Wilhelm recollected his days at IU and the first time he heard of Stone Belt.

“I thought Stone Belt was a rock band,” he said.

Even though he quickly learned that this was not the case, Wilhelm said, “They still rock though.”

Next was Orvedahl’s turn to make the audience laugh. Orvedahl succeeded in this goal as he described having lunch at a gas station and how the combos were like “dog snacks for people.” He also informed the audience that he appreciates getting a cold because he is a hypochondriac and it “makes him feel validated.”

After the opening acts, Blue took the stage. Stone Belt intentionally chose Blue, who has cerebral palsy, for reasons beyond just his comedic style and rising popularity.

“Not only is he a great comic, but he interweaves humor about his disability into his act in a way that makes it accessible for people,” Jackson said. “He’s a role model for showing that people with disabilities can do anything they set their mind to and that their disabilities don’t define who they are.”

Blue validated this comment through several of his jokes, including the description of how cerebral palsy affects his right hand.

“I’m as afraid of it as you are. I don’t want to touch it either … It’s been comin’ home late smelling weird,” Blue said. Also, in referring to his 19-month-old son, Blue said, “He doesn’t have cerebral palsy. Apparently, it’s not contagious.”

The audience showed great appreciation for the “Belt Out Laughing” show.

“The whole thing was just a really good show,” junior Tom Vendel said.

The entirety of ticket proceeds from the event, as well as a 30 percent donation of merchandise sales from Josh Blue, go directly to Stone Belt. These funds will contribute to the not-for-profit’s goal of preparing, empowering and supporting people with developmental disabilities and will help finance Stone Belt’s psychiatric, outpatient counseling, behavioral support and nursing services.

Aside from the donation, Blue also performed at a greatly reduced price for Stone Belt
.
“They’re a cool organization that helps people with disabilities,” he said. “What more can you ask for?”