Monday, Sept. 30

Less diva, Jenn Cristy brings 'more rock' to Buskirk

Jenn Cristy

Bloomington-based songstress Jenn Cristy has been playing piano by ear since age four, and now she is bringing her unique blend of soul-infused rock to the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

By utilizing her proficiency with instruments from oboe and trumpet to didgeridoo, Cristy is bringing her assorted musical stylings together yet again on her newest release, “Hotel Confessions.” The singer will premiere 12 tracks from her latest release as well as material from her two previous recordings from 2005 and 2007, respectively, in a CD listening party at 7 p.m. Friday.

After some changes in her band’s lineup, Cristy and her current bandmates got back into the studio this summer at Farm Fresh Studios in Bloomington and recorded “Hotel Confessions” in just five days.

“Anytime that changes are made within a cohesive unit, it can take some time to gel back together,” Cristy said. “The boys and I spent a lot of time prior to going into the studio ironing out all the details for the album so that by the time we walked in to lay down our parts, it came almost effortlessly.”

Cristy said she felt this summer was the right time to hit the studio again for “Hotel Confessions.” She said she had taken the time between this and the last album to “continue songwriting and growing up as a musician.” She credits her band members – Andy Stocker on guitar, Allen Paurazas on bass and Dave Dwinell on drums – and owner and operator of Farm Fresh Studios Jake Belser, for the relative ease and brevity of the in-studio recording process.  

“(Jake) let me do anything I wanted to do, without question,” Cristy said. “The guys in the band were very hands-on about their parts and arrangements. I think this was the first time that an engineer was able to capture our live sound, which makes ‘Confessions’ very unique to my other two albums.”

Band manager Jessica Chase calls Cristy one of the most enjoyable artists she has worked with and looks forward to hearing her new material at the show.

“Every time I meet with her, I have a blast,” Chase said. “In all the work that she does, she keeps it fun and light, bringing out all the positive in you without you knowing she is doing it.”

The two-hour release party will include new tracks from “Hotel Confessions” and songs from Cristy’s previous two albums, “Becoming” from 2005 and her self-titled album in 2007. Tickets are $5 with a student ID.

Chase described “Hotel Confessions” as a mix of new rock sounds mixed with Cristy’s famed soulful melodies. 

“This latest CD really brings a fresh new strength and edginess to her sound,” Chase said. “She is sure to captivate a new audience with her work – at one point she will have up to 10 different artists on stage including her band, backup singers and two rappers. I encourage everyone to come see her now before she goes on tour.”