Monday, Sept. 30

Posehn premieres at Funny Bone

Brian Posehn

This week Brian Posehn is making his first-ever appearance at the Funny Bone Comedy Club. Many people said that Posehn is the biggest act to come to the Funny Bone since its opening. 

“Brian Posehn is another one of those comedians that comes to town that you say, ‘How the hell did the Funny Bone get him?’ And that’s something they consistently do,” IU graduate and Funny Bone host Brad Wilhelm said.

Posehn will perform at 8 p.m. Thursday through Saturday and 10:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday at The Funny Bone Comedy Club. Tickets are $15 for general admission and $10 with student ID on Thursday only.

Jared Thompson, owner of the Funny Bone, said Posehn is one of the biggest names in comedy.

He has appeared in several big name television shows, including “Seinfeld,” “Just Shoot Me” and “Mr. Show.”

Posehn has also had a stand-up special on Comedy Central Presents and has traveled the country on the Comedians of Comedy Tour.

Posehn said the Comedians of Comedy Tour provided a good show, especially for the younger crowd who couldn’t afford the two drink minimum. 

Posehn has also had a big interest in heavy metal music, making it one of his hobbies. He has even written some of his own songs and has opened shows for metal bands such as Tool with his comedy.

“I have known (lead singer) Maynard for 15 years,” he said. “They are huge comedy fans and they came to one of our shows and we’ve been friends ever since.

Sometimes they make me introduce and kind of humiliate myself for the free ticket.”
Posehn said he is recognized by most people, but not all easily identify him by name. He said he has heard “Hey, it’s that guy!” on multiple occasions, but he always enjoys the recognition.

Accompanying Posehn this week will be comedy veteran Jeremy Essig. 

Essig was born in Zanesville, Ohio, and graduated from Wake Forest University, where he began doing comedy almost a decade ago.

Essig said his style has been described as “intelligent cynicism.” Though he enjoys the name, in his own words he claims to be more of a “politics-head.” 

Essig has toured with big name comics such as Mitch Hedberg, Mike Birbiglia and Norm MacDonald. But, ironically, Essig does not consider himself particularly funny away from the stage.

“I was looking through old high school yearbooks and someone wrote ‘you’re funny – kinda,’” he said.

Before Essig takes the stage Thursday and Saturday, host and IU graduate Brian M. Frange will warm up the crowd as host.

Frange started doing shows in surrounding cities such as Louisville, Ky., Cincinnati and Indianapolis. Later, he became the house-microphone controller of Funny Bone and opened for acts like Arj Barker, Doug Benson and Maria Bamford.

Friday night the host will be Bloomington’s self-described “laughable and loveable” Brad Wilhelm. The night will be special for Wilhelm. He will not only be opening for Posehn, but will also be celebrating his birthday.

“Being able to sit and watch Brian Posehn and be on the same stage as him is a nice birthday present,” he said.