Monday, Sept. 30

Shop serves more than your average cup of joe

On weekends, Stone Cutters Coffee offers tapas, wine

When first walking into Stone Cutters Coffee, an array of aromas takes over the senses. Scents of bold-roasted coffee beans and fresh bistro sandwiches fill the air.

However, on the weekends this everyday coffee shop, located at 3297 East Covenanter Dr., transforms into a gourmet restaurant. Wine becomes the featured beverage, and tapas are the finger-food of choice.

“It’s similar to things you see in a big city,” owner Greg Danielson said. “It has its own identity, a little bistro coffee shop.”

Though there are many coffee shops in town, Stone Cutters has the only coffee roaster of its kind on premise. It carries about 16 different blends of beans from all over the world, including Brazil, Colombia and Mexico.

“Customers come in to customize flavors all of the time,” employee Nick Stroguiludis said.

The shop serves espresso that does not have a typical sharp, southern bite.
“Drip coffee is an American thing,” Danielson said. “This is smooth California-esque coffee that really gets you going.”

Many customers find themselves ordering their favorite when coming in for coffee or tea.

“The spice chai tea latte is the best I have ever had,” customer Kate Morris said. “I am addicted to it. I dream about it.”

Stone Cutters continues its theme with a customized breakfast menu. The menu will soon be expanded to feature more specific titles, including the Stone Cutter, which is a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit with sausage country gravy.

“It is actually a sandwich you will eat with a fork and knife,” Danielson said.

They serve sandwich-style dishes for under $10 during lunch. Danielson said he loves to prepare his lite chicken salad with almond, cranberry and his special ingredients served on wheat bread.

Every day of the week, guests can order half a sandwich with chips and an iced tea or coffee for $5.95.

On Fridays and Saturday from 5 to 10 p.m., guests can select wine by the glass or bottle and choose from multiple tapas.

“The coffee shop converts into a more intimate setting with dining service,” Danielson said.

The tapas provide customers with samples of multiple types of food, including Dim Sum pot stickers and spring rolls along with baked bruschetta topped with mozzarella.
“The tapas are not always small portions,” Danielson said. “We always have specials, such as this weekend’s broiled short ribs in a red wine reduction.”

Customers who start their day with Stone Cutters Coffee can return with their morning receipt to receive 10 percent off wine and tapas.

“It is the perfect place after a movie to bring a first date for quality food,” Danielson said.

Stone Cutters Coffee has recently opened a drive-up window. The grand opening will be later this month and all guests who pull up will receive a complimentary 12-oz. coffee.

“It’s where you can get your morning coffee, blue plate lunch special and wine all day long,” Danielson said.