Monday, Sept. 30

Songs for skeletons

Halloween, an American cultural phenomenon, isn’t just about the blood, fangs and over-the-top nurse costumes, it’s about the tradition this holiday brings us.

Halloween can be compared to the Christmas season in this way. What would the holiday be like without the carols and hymns? This approaching weekend wouldn’t be the same without the growls and screams in these melodies.

Without the music, Halloween loses what makes it so special. The holiday would just be a day for young women to run around in their skimpiest costumes and for children to eat themselves into a candy coma.

By playing famous tunes of the holiday, we create a connection to our culture and to ourselves that otherwise would be lost.

And the impact of the season isn’t as fulfilling without music. It adds to the mis en scené of the night and helps the vampire blood ooze and angel glitter really sparkle.

So between your piles of Skittles and jack-o’-lanterns, here are some spooky classics that might put you right in the mood. These five great songs sprinkled in your party play list will make your Halloween party that much more festive.

1. “Ghostbusters” by Ray Parker Jr.
This sing-along hit made it to No. 1 on the billboard charts in the 1980s and is still a well-known theme song with adults and children alike. “I ain’t afraid of no ghosts” will echo in your ears all night.

2. “Monster Mash” by Bobby Boris Pickett
This novelty tune is a great one to sing. The beat has a fun frightening element to it that makes you feel right at home with the ghosts and goblins.

3. “Purple People Eater” by Sheb Wooley
This song takes me back to my childhood during the Halloween season, but it’s still great to keep in your music library for reminiscing. Although old, it peaked at No. 1 in 1958 and is necessary to live up to your Halloween traditions.

4. “The Addams Family theme song” by Vic Mizzy
This lively tune always has everyone snapping their fingers when it blares through the speakers. Although this is only a theme song for the widely famous television show, the song is just as popular.

5. “Thriller” by Michael Jackson
Come on, I can’t exclude this one. Since 1982, this song has been the anthem for Halloween and for good reason. Whether you’re dancing the steps or singing along, the single represents the spooky night of the fall season.

Of course these aren’t the only Halloween songs out there, but these five songs take us back to our childhood of trick-or-treating and late-night Halloween movies. Keep these five songs in your play list, and it will add an element of fun and fright to your Halloween.