Monday, Sept. 30

Students create Tundra remixes

The IU Hip Hop Congress invites all student DJs to compete in the IU Remix Competition for a chance to perform at Oct. 10th’s Tundra Music Festival, which will take place behind Foster Quad.

The winner will receive an all-access pass to the event as well as 45 minutes of performance time in the festival’s DJ Dome, opening for acts such as Louisville natives OK Deejays, Indianapolis’ Trill Tight DJs, Action Jackson, and Sound Remedy and Chicago’s TRAV.

“While our club focuses on the business side of the music industry, we still want to provide local artists opportunities to gig,” said senior Brian Binkley, IU’s Business Careers Entertainment Club president, on the Facebook page for the event. “We are always looking for new ways to get students involved and provide experience.”

Remixes must be crafted from four song selections by Jadakiss, Jeremih, Shwayze and DJ Class, as posted on the IU Remix Competition’s Facebook event page.

Students need to obtain a copy of the song they wish to remix and submit a copy through their IU e-mail accounts to tundradjcontest@gmail.com by noon Saturday to be eligible for the competition. Songs should not run longer than
five minutes.

The completed mixes will be posted on the Tundra Music Festival Web site – www.itsbtown.com/tundra – by noon Sunday for voting.

Voting will end at 11:59 p.m. Thursday, said IU alumus Will Runzel, festival founder and creative director.

The DJ Dome is an enclosed dome that creates a small club experience on the festival grounds.

“The DJ dome is going to be one of the highlights of the festival,” IU Hip Hop Congress President and junior Robby Racette said. “It holds about 65 people, so it creates a really high energy dance venue that is separate from the open air festival grounds.”

The competition is modeled after the Lollapalooza Last Band Standing Remix Contest held last summer in Chicago, Runzel said, adding that he thought the Lollapalooza Remix Contest was a “great success.”

“We thought it would be a cool way to get IU students who may be veteran DJs or are just beginning to be a part of the biggest music event in school history,”
he said.