Monday, Sept. 30

Art exhibit collects support for Coal Free IU

dirty art

Coal Free IU organized an art installation Wednesday outside Woodburn Hall to protest the 60,000 tons of coal IU burns each year. 

The group also gathered signatures in preparation of the organization’s meeting on Nov. 19 with Tom Morrison, IU vice president for capital projects and facilities. Coal Free IU started collecting signatures in September for a petition that asks to make IU a 100 percent coal-free campus.

The art shown depicted the hazards of IU’s coal-burning facility and examples of the all-natural energy options they would like to see IU adopt, such as solar, wind and geothermal power sources, said Coal Free IU media coordinator, freshman Lauren Kastner.

She said she joined the campaign to encourage the University administration to “take a stance, be a leader in renewable energy.”

The second aspect of the art installation was a board on which students wrote their thoughts on clean energy. Many of the comments pertained to the future.

“I don’t want my kids to say, ‘What were you thinking?’” one inscription said.
Another read, “A future without limits.”

Junior Desiree Branaman, the coordinator of the event, said the goal of the installation was to increase awareness of the issue and show student support. Their petition goal of 2,000 signatures is almost complete, with 1,500 prior to the event.

Junior Matt Panfil, who was also collecting signatures, said many people who came by shared their opinions. Some of the students and faculty expressed concerns about money. But Panfil said he wants people to “get past money” and focus on the more important aspect.

“People’s health – how does it compare to money?” he asked.

More details about the campaign will be announced during today’s rally from 12:30 to 1 p.m. in front of the central heating plant on Fee Lane, said campaign coordinator Monica Embrey.

Professor Maurice Manning will speak about mountaintop removal, while the student speaker will be senior Terrence Ellison, the coalitions coordinator.