Monday, Sept. 30

Benson brings ‘Last Comic Standing’ humor to Funny Bone

Famous for a spoof titled “Super High Me,”  stand-up comedian Doug Benson brought his routine to the Funny Bone Bloomington Comedy Club last weekend, to the delight of smoking and non-smoking audiences alike.

More than 500 patrons turned out to see Benson and feature performer David Huntsberger.

Brian M. Frange, introduced to the crowds as “treasurer of the Billy Ocean fan club,” was host at Friday and Saturday nights’ shows.

Frange recounted a heckler who once justified his harassment by explaining that he was just giving Frange “something to work with.” The comic pointed out that no one would do that to people in any other profession.

“You wouldn’t walk up to a cop and stab somebody right in front of him,” Frange said.
Huntsberger complimented Midwesterners on something IU students are reputed to be particularly skilled at doing.

“You guys are so naturally good at drinking,” he said with joking admiration.
He also questioned the logic behind childproof windows on cars, asking if they were really trying that hard to escape.

“They’re already strapped down into their little car seats like they’re Hannibal Lecter,” Huntsberger said.

He also pondered vehicle choices.

“Why do we even sell vans anymore? Everyone knows what happens in them – horrible things.” As well as childhood hopes, “No one’s ever dreamed of being a proctologist.”

Huntsberger said everyone’s had a job they know is beneath them, but he pondered the opposite: a job everyone else thinks is noble but the person doing it is just in it for the money.

“You can’t tell me every special ed teacher is in it for the love of the game,” he said. “Maybe some of them just like a quiet classroom.”

At the Friday show, Benson mentioned his new show, “The High Road,” which will be on the G4 network. He received massive applause for encouraging people to smoke marijuana. Or at least, not care if other people do it.

“Marijuana is not as bad for you as McDonald’s, unless you live near a McDonald’s,” he said. “Then all bets are off.”

Benson also talked about a sexual dry spell, saying that in the last several years, he’s “only had sex in months that end in ‘-bruary.’”

Benson added that his voice mail away message is simple.

“I’m either on stage or having sex right now, so I’ll call you back in 45 minutes or 37 seconds,” he said.

He also told the audience about coming in sixth place on “Last Comic Standing,” comparing it to the Oscars, where sixth place means not even nominated, or the Olympic Games, where only two other people ahead of the sixth-placer also didn’t get a medal.

“I would like to do for you now jokes that were not funny enough to get me into the top five,” he said.