Monday, Sept. 30

City Hall reception to be flooded with watercolors

Sometimes art is best when watered down, or at least that seems to be the case with Bloomington’s own Watercolor Society. The group, which formed in 2004 as a collective of watercolor painters, decided it was important to create an exclusive club that could provide networking opportunities and support from fellow artists.

The Bloomington Watercolor Society has been selected to have its artwork featured this month in the City Hall’s atrium on behalf of Bloomington Entertainment and Arts Districts. There will be an opening reception from 5 to 7 p.m. today.

“I think it’s a great opportunity to expose watercolor,” said Miah Michaelsen, assistant economic development director for the arts. “It’s an opportunity to showcase artists and their artworks in the community.”

The society meets once a month, conducting educational sessions about new painting techniques or materials.

The group also travels to different landscapes around Bloomington such as Oliver Winery, Spring Mill State Park and Lake Monroe to practice “plein air” painting, a French term for painting outside. Some of these paintings will be on display during the opening reception.

“You’ll see beautiful work from professional artists and beginning artists,” gallery chairwoman Tricia Wente said.

The group hosts one major exhibit each year at different locations in Bloomington, and Wente decided to submit a proposal after seeing an advertisement.

“I saw the ad about the city hall exhibit,” Wente said. “I thought it would be pretty on that wall (in the atrium).”

The Watercolor Society will have 30 of its artists’ work featured in the atrium, which the society’s first vice president, Jeanne Dutton, said she thinks creates an opportunity for beginning artists to be eased into exhibiting their work.

“That’s really a challenge for beginning artists – it’s intimidating,” Dutton said. “It’s sort of like going out on stage for the first time.”

The Watercolor Society will have another gallery show in January and are offering student memberships for $10 a year.