Monday, Sept. 30

Dylan returns to Bloomington

Dylan will perform at 7:30 p.m. today at the IU Auditorium.

The show will be part of what his fans have called the “Never Ending Tour,” which began in 1988. He has played more than 100 shows every year since 1994.

Tickets are $42.50 to $67.50 for general public, $5 discount with student ID with a limit of two per ID. Tickets are available from Ticketmaster, the IU Auditorium Web site and the Box Office.

Dylan last performed in Bloomington in October 2007 at Assembly Hall, along with singer/songwriter Elvis Costello.

Despite his nonstop touring, Dylan has continued to write new albums, including “Together Through Life,” which was released in April. Dylan worked on the album with former Grateful Dead songwriter Robert Hunter. Dylan’s most recent album was “Christmas in the Heart,” released in October.

Dylan has been active as a musician since 1959 and produced classics such as “The Times They Are a-Changin’,” “Blowin’ in the Wind” and “Like A Rolling Stone.” His songs have served as generational anthems and were adopted as themes for civil rights and anti-war movements nationwide.

Dylan has received numerous awards, including 10 Grammys and an Academy award.
In addition to this, Dylan has released the first part of his autobiography, “Chronicles: Part One,” which remained on the New York Times Bestsellers List for 20 weeks. A movie was even released that chronicled his life, titled “No Direction Home.”

“We are proud to host such an influential artist in the realm of American music,” said IU Auditorium Director Doug Booher in a press release. “Having Dylan in the intimate setting of IU Auditorium will create long-lasting memories for our audience.”

Though he’s been touring for the past 21 years, Dylan, who turned 68 in May, has received criticism from fans that his performances lack their former luster because of his old age.

Despite this, seeing Dylan live is a sort of a pilgrimage for some, including senior Nathan Brewer.

“It’s always great to see Dylan,” said Brewer, who was at the 2007 IU show. “It’s great to see a master. You have to see him at least once.”