Sunday, Sept. 8

Early deficit too much to overcome in second half

IU-Purdue Football

For one quarter, Purdue was on pace to win by more than it did against the Hoosiers in the 2008 Old Oaken Bucket game.

As much as IU wanted to purge last year’s 62-10 trouncing from its memory, that’s what came to mind as Purdue jumped to a three-touchdown lead in the first quarter and led by 14 points at halftime.

And while IU did not lose this year’s game by 52 points, the Hoosiers’ early deficit in Saturday’s game was too much to overcome.

The 38-21 final was all IU could do to recover from a second consecutive on-field embarrassment.

Senior defensive end Jammie Kirlew said Purdue’s quick lead was as much about what the Hoosiers weren’t doing as it was about what the Boilermakers were doing.

“I don’t want to say it’s not them outplaying us, because they did make more plays than we did,” Kirlew said. “But we knew we could play with them ... We just didn’t capitalize in the red zone.”

IU’s early problems extended beyond the failure to finish drives. IU’s first five possessions, extending into the second quarter, ended in a fumble, a punt, two missed field goals and an interception.

On the opening drive, junior quarterback Ben Chappell was sacked and fumbled the ball at the Hoosiers’ own 34-yard line. Six plays later, Purdue capitalized with a six-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Joey Elliott to running back Jaycen Taylor.

On IU’s ensuing drive, freshman kicker Nick Freeland’s 48-yard field goal attempt was blocked. Purdue took advantage again and scored on another Elliott touchdown pass.

When IU coach Bill Lynch reflected on the game, he said two areas stood out as reasons his team lost.

“What was uncharacteristic was what I think was the difference in the game: turnovers and the kicking game,” Lynch said. “Purdue, give them credit, particularly in the first half. They took advantage of the turnovers.”

Following the game, IU players insisted they were not shaken by the 21-0 score that began the game.

“We’ve just got to keep our poise,” freshman running back Darius Willis said about his thoughts during the run. “We’ve just got to be ready.”

Lynch added that the team did not restructure its scheme to adjust to the deficit because there was still plenty of time remaining.

He said the team needed to stick to a balanced offense, especially with Purdue’s pass-rushing ability.

“With a whole half, you don’t want to change everything,” Lynch said. “We wanted to have balance because if we got into a throw-fest, we’re really playing into their hands.”

The Hoosiers eventually started scoring, but two deflating plays ended any chances for a dramatic comeback.

Facing a 28-7 deficit in the beginning of the third quarter, IU could not contain Purdue returner Al-Terek McBurse, who returned the second-half opening kickoff 87 yards for a touchdown.

IU gave away its final chance to come back midway through the fourth quarter as the Hoosiers looked to cut into Purdue’s 10-point lead. Following a stop by IU’s defense, Chappell threw a screen pass right into the hands of Purdue lineman Kawann Short who intercepted the ball and returned it 15 yards.

IU never had a realistic chance of winning for the rest of the game.

While those two plays sealed Purdue’s second consecutive Bucket game victory, junior wide receiver Mitchell Evans insisted it was the first half that ruined it for the Hoosiers.

“We just needed to execute. We had a turnover, missed a couple field goals. We’ve just got to execute better in those situations,” Evans said. “We just have to execute throughout the whole game.”