Monday, Sept. 30

Family, food and fashion

Thanksgiving is hardly a holiday for high-fashion; in fact I believe that the gluttonous celebration is scoffed at by most of the style world’s high rollers. Turkey day with Chanel designer Karl Lagerfeld and supermodel Kate Moss would definitely have you re-thinking that second piece of pumpkin pie.

At the opposite end of the Thanksgiving spectrum we have the basic yet bittersweet tradition of family togetherness. Any occasion where like-blooded people are thrust into a room together is a potential recipe for disaster; mix in stiletto thigh-high boots and a sequin mini-skirt that your aunts won’t stop glaring at and you might as well plan for a total meltdown.

Events such as this bring back memories of stealthily skulking out of my house on the way to middle school, wearing way too much pastel eye shadow and way too little clothing, before my mom could lecture me on my “out-of-line” ensemble. The word “prostitot” hadn’t even been invented yet and she found ways to drive home the same idea.

So where do we die-hard fashionistas draw the line between “So damn cute” and “So totally inappropriate?” It may be tricky, but it is possible to get through Turkey Day without loosening your belt or offending your conservative relatives.

With any family-centric event it’s good to think job interview appropriate minus the corporate stiffness. Keep the air of conservativeness without going boss-lady overboard. If you wouldn’t want a potential employer seeing you in something, chances are it shouldn’t be worn around relatives either.

Sweaters are always an adorable autumn asset, and one with a chunkier knit or some volume looks great with sleek skinny jeans. Fresh printed blouses are another good pick.

As always, it’s about proportion, and keeping everything balanced.

Bright colors should be kept to a minimum, no matter how fun they might be. Pick jewel tones instead. They’re more fall appropriate and far less abrasive.

Black skinny slacks look more polished than jeans and go with virtually everything. A tip for those who pile their dinner plates high: pick ones with around 5 percent spandex. You’ll thank me when you don’t have to unbutton your pants at the dinner table.

If you go for a skirt, just remember that it’s not your typical Thursday at the bars. If metaphorical paparazzi could get a million-dollar shot of you exiting a car, save the skirt for Kilroy’s.

On the foot front, leave the heels at home. Overdone is usually inappropriate. Boots or flats are the best way to go. You’ll be way more comfortable when someone guilts you in to helping with the clean-up after dinner.

Even though we know what’s generally appropriate, that pastel eye shadow line is an easy one to cross. While it might be more painful than Gucci boots, one day of high-fashion moderation won’t kill you.