Thursday, Oct. 10

Finding the future

The search to find future talent can take collegiate golf coaches all over the United States and even across the globe.

IU coach Clint Wallman is no exception. Of the 10 players on his team, four come from outside the U.S.

“International players have a little more creativity and shot selection,” Wallman said. “Also, there is a maturity factor with international players having to travel a little more.”

The impact of foreign players on women’s golf has skyrocketed on both the collegiate and professional level in the past decade.

Purdue, the No. 4 team in the nation, has one of the strongest contingents of international players in women’s college golf with all six of their players coming from outside the U.S.

“Golf, and especially on the women’s side, is huge around the globe,” Wallman said, “And there are a lot of fantastic players outside the U.S. that are looking to come here and compete collegiately.”

There are some hurdles that coaches deal with in recruiting players from outside the U.S.

“When you’re recruiting an international player, it is more costly because of travel,” Wallman said. “Also, there are a lot more hoops to go through with getting international players here in regard to language and cultural things that are challenging.”

Of the four international players on the Hoosier roster, three hail from Canada and one from Sweden.

Senior Anita Gahir, a native of Thornhill, Ontario, won the Canadian Junior Girls Championship in 2003 and has continued to have similar success throughout her career in Bloomington.

Gahir is a two-time All-Big Ten selection and led the Hoosiers with a 76.16 scoring average during her sophomore year.

The 67 shot by Gahir at the Las Vegas Collegiate Showdown in 2008 is the low individual score in IU women’s golf history, and she was also the low individual for IU in six different tournaments last year.

With Ontario being just north of the Michigan border, location played a key role in Wallman’s recruiting process.

“I looked at IU because of the athletic program itself and the coaching staff.” Gahir said. “I liked the program because I thought it was on the rise and it wasn’t too far away from home.”

Freshman Pamela Burneski was a decorated junior golfer and was ranked No. 71 in the Class of 2009, according to Golf week.

Burneski attended Fleetwood Park Secondary School in British Columbia, where she played on the senior boy’s high school golf team beginning in eighth grade.

The 2009 Washington State Association Women’s Player of the Year, Burneski said the recruiting process was intense, but she knew IU was the best choice in the end.

“I chose IU because of the academic standing and the facilities are outstanding,” Burneski said.

Fellow freshman Jacqueline Yanch rounds out the Canadian trio and is from Barrie, Ontario.

Similar to Burneski, Yanch had an accomplished junior golf career and was a 2008 member of Team Ontario.

The three Canadian players have each seen significant time in the Hoosier lineup this fall, which does not surprise Gahir.

“I think it is something people don’t realize; how competitive it really is around the world, and especially in Canada,” Gahir said. “I know of a lot of girls that have come down to the States that have done really well and are big parts of their program.”

Junior Cecilia Orevik transferred from Middle Tennessee State University after her freshman season and played a pivotal role for the Hoosiers last year.

Orevik, a native of Mariefred, Sweden, played in the Big Ten Championships last spring for the Hoosiers and her final round score of 72 was the lowest for IU.

Wallman said he is not looking for a set number of international players on a team, but he said he thinks the blend of American and international players within a team is beneficial.

“The more diversity you have on a team, the better, and that is all part of the college experience,” Wallman said.

After missing the NCAA tournament for the first time in three years, and with the NCAA Central Regional at Otter Creek Golf Course in Columbus, Ind., postseason play is the ultimate goal for the Hoosiers.

“I think a big goal for us is to play really well at Big Ten’s and make it to postseason, especially with regionals being at Otter Creek,” Gahir said.