Monday, Sept. 30

Fox Sports’ Buck to speak at Buskirk

MBR

FOX Sports broadcaster Joe Buck will conclude the IU School of Journalism’s Speaker Series today at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

In addition to working for FOX Sports, Buck is also affiliated with the newly formed National Sports Journalism Center, which works with IU in Indianapolis. Buck is a former IU journalism student.

“Joe is not only, I would say without question, one of the five most prominent sportscasters in America, but he’s one of the most prominent broadcasters period,” said Tim Franklin, director of the National Sports Journalism Center.

Buck mainly works with Major League Baseball and the National Football League. He is the youngest announcer to call a full slate of NFL games and has been the lead broadcaster numerous times at the World Series, including this year. Throughout his career, Buck has been awarded six Emmys for his work.

Buck’s talk tonight is the last in the IU School of Journalism’s fall speaker series.
Each year, the speaker series brings prominent journalists to Bloomington. Buck is one of the first sports journalists to participate in the series.

Sophomore journalism student Taylor Smith has previously attended the speaker series, and said she enjoys the inspiration she gets from attending.

“I think it’s important for the students to go because how often are you going to be at a place where you can hear these people talk?” Smith said.

Before his talk, Buck will have an event-filled day.

A chat is planned between Buck and current journalism students, and he is scheduled to appear at a fundraiser at 5:30 p.m. at Nick’s English Hut. Buck will also be given a tour of campus.

“Obviously he is someone who came here to study,” said Beth Moellers, director of communications for the School of Journalism. “Hopefully students will feel a closer kinship.”