Monday, Sept. 30

Holiday albums that make you feel warm and fuzzy

As our turkey and dressing is nicely nestled in our stomachs, the hectic and festive holiday season has only yet to begin.

And as we start our shopping and decorating, there is one thing continuously playing in the background: Christmas carols. 

Every year, Christmas carols are anticipated from the traditional classics to the new renditions of today’s famous pop artists.

This year, some of our favorite artists are releasing their own albums of holiday carols, and they are some of the best. 

Aside from Brenda Lee’s “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” and Wham!’s “Last Christmas,” there are so many other great holiday anthems you can check out this season as you finish finals and hang the mistletoe.

And the best songs are the ones that make listeners feel good.

Whether they are the religious hymns or the mainstream versions of “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer,” all carols have some element of joy within the lyrics and melodies.

We like things that make us feel warm and fuzzy, and carols help put us in the spirit of the season. We begin to listen to Christmas music as soon as Thanksgiving is done, which can sometimes seem to be bit too early.

However, for the most part, these songs put a smile on our faces and cheer in our hearts.

We love songs we can sing along to. We love songs that make us think of home. We love songs about love.

Christmas carols have elements of all of that.

So while you enjoy Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky’s “Nutcracker March” or Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas is You,” try these new Christmas albums that will surely put you in the holiday spirit.

National top five 2009 Christmas albums
“Christmas From the Heart” – David Archuleta
“Christmas In the Heart” – Bob Dylan
“A Very Special Christmas Volume 7”  – Various artists including Carrie Underwood and Miley Cyrus
“Gold and Green”  – Sugarland 
“Music From the Motion Picture A Christmas Story”  - Soundtrack
Source: www.hitfix.com

Erica’s top five 2009 Christmas albums
“Christmas In the Heart” – Bob Dylan
“My Christmas” – Andrea Bocelli
 “If On A Winter’s Night ...” – Sting
“Christmas Cheer” – Straight No Chaser