Thursday, Oct. 10

IU heads to Columbus for Big Ten battle

The IU rowing team travels to Columbus, Ohio, this weekend to compete in a scrimmage with Big Ten foes Ohio State and Michigan State, as well as the University of Dayton.

IU will send its novice and varsity teams.

Unlike their last two meets at the Princeton Chase and Notre Dame Regatta, the Hoosiers will not be competing in a head race, typical of fall rowing.

Instead, IU and the other three teams line up and race for fixed team increments at fixed stroke rates.

The varsity teams will be racing in a series of six-minute pieces at a controlled stroke of 30. The novice teams will race in seven-minute pieces at a lower stroke rate.

Formatted to be shorter and more like spring competition, the workout should benefit the Hoosiers in simulating a controlled racing environment they can build on for the spring season.

Because every team will be rowing at the same stroke rate, whoever generates power and gets the most distance out of every stroke will be faster.

“Controlling the rate is going to really kind of focus more on what we call ‘power per stroke,’ and it’s about being a little more efficient,” IU coach Steve Peterson said.
Technique is also important in races like these.

“At this stage of year everybody is trying to work on technical things,” Peterson said. “This is a way to get in a good workout and good race environment against other schools.”