Monday, Sept. 30

Lennie’s celebrates 20th birthday by donating to local charities

Starting Monday, Lennie’s is celebrating its 20th birthday, but instead of receiving presents, the restaurant is the one giving gifts.

All of the sales made during the birthday celebration, today through Wednesday, will be donated to local charity organizations around Bloomington.

Lennie Busch, co-owner of Lennie’s, said the restaurant is hoping to raise $20,000 during the three-day celebration.

“From open to close if you eat in, carry out, get a bottle of wine or order a pizza, every dollar spent that day will be donated to charity,” Busch said.

The three charity organizations involved are Hoosier Hills Food Bank, WonderLab and Stone Belt.

Busch said she enjoys doing things for the community and is really excited that Lennie’s can help.

Hoosier Hills Food Bank assistant director Dan Taylor said he was surprised when the organization was invited to participate. Taylor said he thinks it’s great Lennie’s is sharing this commemorative event with the community.

“We’re very excited,” Taylor said. “I was just really happy they chose us.”
The staff of Lennie’s and the organizations participating in the event are both looking forward to this celebration. Lennie’s server Annie Schaffer said she is hoping a lot of people will show up.

“It is a way for customers to feel good,” Schaffer said. “It’s a very positive thing that we’re giving back to the community.”

Busch said the restaurant is hoping they will be able to donate enough money to make a difference to these organizations.

“We are so thrilled we can do it for the community,”  Busch said. “I just find it hard to believe it’s been 20 years.”