Monday, Sept. 30

Students participate in run

Monumental Marathon grabs more than 6,000

The buzzer sounded at 8 a.m. Saturday for more than 6,000 runners to begin the Monumental Marathon that took them through downtown Indianapolis.

IU alumnus LaMaze Johnson ran in the event last year. But after sustaining an injury, he cheered runners on from the crowd this year.

“It was amazing last year,” Johnson said, noting that the amount of runners doubled this year.

While the crowd consisting of IU alumni watched from the sidelines, current students put their training to the test on the course.

Junior Jennifer Marinaro completed the half-marathon with a time of two hours and seven minutes, falling just short of meeting her goal of a two-hour finish.

“I’m very glad,” she said after receiving her time.

She said completing this race has given her something to work toward for next time.
Marino competed in the event with junior Carlie Harper.

“I felt really good about it,” Harper said. “I met my goal.”

Harper said she came in at two hours and three minutes, which she attributed to staying hydrated, eating well and getting plenty of rest. She also said she had no aches and pains after finishing.

“I felt good the whole way,” she said.

Harper said this was her first half-marathon and that she will run again.

Alumna Maria Milutinovc also ran the half-marathon with the goal of beating her previous time.

“I like to set goals, and that was one goal for me,” Milutinovc said. “I am very proud of myself.”

Monumental Marathon President Carlton Ray said he was grateful to see runners accomplish personal goals and to be a small part of it all.

He said it is a thrill that proceeds from the race will go to the Public Schools of Indianapolis through charities such as the Indianapolis Public Schools Education Foundation, Mind Trust and College Summit.

“It was humbling to see runners cross after 26 miles of running,” Ray said.