Monday, Sept. 30

Beautiful, dirty, glam

A belly-baring Britney Spears dropped jaws in the ’90s as a school girl destined for detention, wearing a skimpy pleated mini-skirt and a strategically tied oxford shirt. While back in the day that image had every middle school boy drooling, standing in a lineup with some of pop culture’s current heavy hitters makes it seem so “Sunday school.”

The new sexy, dirty and stripped-to-the-bone appearance is not for the faint of heart. The movement’s overtly provocative nature begs the question: What is the role of fashion in a world where people are only wearing grease paint and a sinful smirk?

A recently revitalized Rihanna was captured wearing only barbed wire in some of the shots that make up the artwork for her most recent album, “Rated R,” a biting and troubling personal account of her corporate-filtered feelings since the domestic violence incident involving ex-boyfriend Chris Brown.

Rihanna looks more like an executioner than a Barbadian princess in the less-than-modest photographs, involving outfits such as mesh panties and a sign that reads “censored.”

Her clothes match the music perfectly, an image made so undesirable that it becomes glamorous.

Then there is the empress of outrageous, Lady Gaga, who is no shy flower. When was the last time we saw her wearing pants? She gives off unattainable androgynous sex appeal, possessing the charm of a burlesque dancer combined with the originality of an alien queen.

Lady Gaga must be single-handedly keeping the plastic industry afloat – wearing PVC like it’s nobody’s business.

Even though Gaga recently stated to Elle Magazine that her album art is not meant to be sexual, there is an inevitable raciness about it that errs more on the side of down-and-dirty than high-fashion.

Beyonce brings the futuristic-sexy to new heights in her Thierry Mugler catsuits, looking like a superhero. Her chrome hand in the Single Ladies video was the most iconic piece of handwear since Michael Jackson’s bedazzled glove.

While the new “dirty-sexy” has a heavy influence on street wear, clearly no one should be running around outside in a dress made only of fishing line. Toning this look down means taking bits and pieces and mixing them with simpler items.

Accentuated shoulders are right in line with the futuristic style. The angles are almost robotic, rigidly jutting outward and upward. Jackets with this accent are super fierce and definitely make a statement of power. Keep lines below the waist straight and fitted. The shoulders add volume, so keep the rest fairly simple.

Sharp mini dresses in metallic and chrome tones look smoldering, especially with a pair of platform booties. This is more of a going-out look, so save it for the weekend. Add something with sequins for an extra touch of glam.

PVC leggings have made serious waves in the new era of “dirty-sexy” dress. The shiny slacks look best in black onyx paired with a dark heather grey blazer.

Keep in mind that there is a fine line between sexy and slutty. While the stripped-down style works for the sake of art, it’s a little bit too much for every day. The fiery fashion statement can only be pulled off with a fiercely confident attitude – and a lot of black eyeliner.