Monday, Sept. 30

Bloomington Playwrights Project reading adds laughs to Voltaire classic

Laughter filled the Bloomington Playwrights Project on Friday during a staged reading of “Candide Does America,” a modern twist on Voltaire’s classic.

As attendees arrived, they were given little American flags.

Chad Rabinovitz, the BPP Producing Artistic Director, was met with applause as he introduced the play. He said he appreciated those who attend staged readings, even though they’re not as elaborate or polished as full productions.

“It is very important to the developmental process of a new production,” Rabinovitz said. “Thank you for supporting art.”

Director Neil Parsons then introduced himself, asking for audience participation during the performance by waving their flags, booing or yelling “Cheers!” at certain phrases in the script.

The show began with a patriotic medley played by five Civil War over-the-shoulder saxhorns.

“Candide Does America,” which was also read on Saturday, follows Candide, a young man who goes through life with his professor’s teaching as his philosophy.

“Go through your life with a shine on your shoes and a smile on your face,” Professor Pangloss said to him, “and the world will embrace you.”

Candide is repeatedly separated from his love, Cunegonde, and continually seeks her with his acquaintance, Cacambo, whose neverending pessimism and sarcasm starkly contrasts Candide’s unfailing optimism.

Candide and Cunegonde eventually die together on a melting ice shelf, with Candide as positive as ever. 

Throughout the reading, modern American issues such as health insurance, the Iraq war and global warming were addressed.

Despite the seemingly morbid tale, laughter was heard throughout the night. The script was filled with sarcastic humor and running jokes. 

Because it was a staged reading, actors were not required to memorize their lines and instead read from the script.

“The staged reading lets you listen more to the script,” Bloomington resident David Martin said. “I would have liked to see a full production, but short of that, I’m glad they did the staged reading. You understand the process more.”

Attendees participated enthusiastically during the performance.

“This particular version of this show was produced with this house in mind, with this audience in mind,” Parsons said of the about 20 audience members. “This wouldn’t have worked on a proscenium stage with thousands of people in the audience. It definitely is perfect for this setting, which is intimate and personable.”

Martin said the participatory aspect of the reading was wonderful.

“It makes for the real benefit of live theater,” he said. “You’re part of it. It’s an event that’s just happening, and you’re there.”

At the end of the night, Parsons said the evening was great. 

“It’s always wonderfully surprising to see what the audience’s reaction is,” he said.

Parsons said that in the process, one never really knows what will resonate with the audience. He said it was great to finally perform and have the piece take on a life of its own.

“With something like this where we do really want the audience to be a part of it it’s pretty gratifying to know that they were so game,” Parsons said.