Monday, Sept. 30

Extra-ordinary talent

By now, everyone has seen the YouTube clip of Susan Boyle.

She walks on stage to stifled giggles and raised eyebrows from the audience.
But as she belted out the first words of “I Dreamed a Dream” from the play, “Les Miserables,” the once-skeptical audience and the world were soon swept away. 

Boyle finished at second place in “Britain’s Got Talent,” the British equivalent of “American Idol.” 

Her album, which was released last Tuesday, has already hit No. 1 in Britain, Australia and Ireland.

With Boyle’s growing popularity stateside, it would probably come as no surprise to fans if her CD becomes a chart-topper within the next few weeks.

Boyle’s frumpy and seemingly unbecoming appearance has managed to charm listeners worldwide.

So, why is it that people seem to love her so much?

At 48, when most singers her age are headed into their golden years as music legends, Boyle’s career is just beginning. And yet, she’s already achieved so much.

Boyle’s popularity has helped to change many people’s outlook on music, especially in a time when some female pop stars are promoting a cheap image to sell records, she stands apart as a breath of fresh air.

People enjoy Boyle’s music because they can relate to her. Her beauty is within, which many people find inspiring. And in a society of flashiness, Boyle’s ordinary look trumps an extraordinary one.

When auditioning for “Britain’s Got Talent,” she said to the judges, “I’ve never been given the chance before, but here’s hoping it’ll change.”

Since that night, everything has changed for the middle-aged, overnight sensation.  
Another great aspect of Boyle’s success is the fresh and pure tonality of her music. In the midst of electronic beats and Auto-Tuned assistance – which are likeable in their own right – her music is both clean and inviting. 

On Boyle’s Web site, many of her fans in message boards convey a sense of relief and comfort that they’ve found from her inspirational songs and traditional hymns.
They find solace in her music and love in her genuine personality.

I am eager to see what Boyle will continue to do for her fans worldwide.

If you’re looking for a refreshing transition from the radio-friendly pop tunes of Britney Spears and Lady Gaga, put on some Susan Boyle, relax and experience her warmth and love.