Monday, Sept. 30

‘Nutcracker’ enchants audience members of all ages

nutcracker tea

Excited murmurs echoed through the Musical Arts Center as children sat up straight in eager anticipation of the IU Opera and Ballet Theater’s production of “The Nutcracker” on Saturday.

A sign above the “Will Call” box office window read that all tickets for the Saturday performances were sold out as patrons continued to file into the lobby.

As the Jacobs School of Music University Orchestra warmed up in the pit, audience members quickly claimed their seats while ushers began to quietly close the doors.
Guest conductor Jeffrey Cook led the orchestra to bring magic to the senses of young and old as the curtains opened to the familiar strains of music by Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky.

“It’s really good,” said Maddy Lund, a young audience member.

Maddy and her younger sister Anna Lund accompanied their friend Paige Brummett for the show, and the three were mesmerized by the enchanting performances of the dancers. Each girl said she wanted to be a ballet dancer as well.

“I want to be the snow fairy,” Anna Lund said.

Several other young children were in the audience with parents and friends. A boutique was set up in the lobby to sell Nutcracker souvenirs before the show and during intermission, and young girls’ eyes sparkled with want and curiosity as they gazed upon autographed pointe ballet slippers and miniature nutcrackers.

Other parents and guardians took pictures of their children next to the giant reproduction of a nutcracker.

The children seemed as excited in the theater as well as the lobby. Small hands gave eager applause in anticipation of the curtains rising to have the dancers continue to sparkle on stage.

Perfection of makeup, costume and set was noted by several audience members. Brummett’s eyes widened as she spoke of the colorful outfits she saw on stage.

“We like the costumes because they’re so pretty,” Brummett said.

However, Brummett and her friends were no newcomers to “The Nutcracker.” The girls attended the show last year as well.

“I like it a little more this year,” Anna Lund said.

Each of the girls took their time to compare performances from this year to previous experiences. They spoke of the difference in snow princesses between this year and last year’s productions and compared hair length of Clara’s character in the live production and the movie “Barbie in the Nutcracker.”

However, the girls said they longed to capture the beauty on stage for an extended period of time.

“I wish we could take pictures,” Brummett said.