Monday, Sept. 30

Chocolate week kicks off

Bloomington residents can indulge in chocolate while giving back to the local community every single day for a week straight.

The Week of Chocolate is an annual fundraiser organized by the Bloomington not-for-profit organization OPTIONS. The organization, which is dedicated to providing services to people with disabilities, has benefited from the event since 1998.

Five years ago, OPTIONS decided to share its success and get other local organizations involved.

“A lovely thing that OPTIONS has done is that the non-profits that are participating in the Week of Chocolate get to keep the profits,” said Jo Gilbertson, co-president of Citizen Advocacy of South-Central Indiana, Inc.

The 2010 Week of Chocolate starts January 30th and will feature nine different non-profit organizations.

The Week of Chocolate stemmed from a single event called Chocolate Fest.“In terms of events in Bloomington, the Art of Chocolate and Week of Chocolate have become signature community events,” said Lisa Morrison, President of Morrison Marketing and Media and committee member for the Week of Chocolate.

“We anticipate them to happen every year, and success continues to grow in term of dollars raised.”

This year’s Week of Chocolate features nine events in eight days. From solving a murder-mystery to indulging in all-you-can-eat pancakes, each event will be in full supply of various chocolate creations.

Chocolate cakes, drinks, candies, pancakes and fountains comprise some of the different desserts found at Week of Chocolate events.

CASCI has been involved with the Week of Chocolate for four years by teaming up with the Bloomington Playwrights Project to put on a murder-mystery play every year.
This year’s play takes place on an ocean liner. Audience members will guess who they believe the murderer is based on the actors’ performances. Guests will also enjoy a dessert served by Lennie’s called Death by Chocolate.

“It’s out of this world, very rich and fudgy,” Gilbertson said. “I just adore it.”

Another big hit during the week is the Art of Chocolate held at the IU Art Museum. This event directly benefits OPTIONS and features festivities such as a live jazz band, a chocolate painting and of course, chocolate desserts.

Susan Rinne, executive director of OPTIONS, hopes this year will be even more successful than the previous year for both the Art of Chocolate and the Week of Chocolate as a whole. Last year the week’s events brought in a total of $35,000.

“I hope that people have fun,” Rinne said, “and at the same time they are contributing to a lot of different organizations.”

Week of Chocolate Events

Jan. 30
Sundaes on Saturday, hosted by Monroe County History Center, 1-4 p.m. at the Monroe County History Center

Wonk’s Chocolate Carnival, hosted by Amethyst House , 3-6 p.m. at the Boys & Girls Club of Bloomington

Jan. 31
Sixth Annual Art of Chocolate, hosted by OPTIONS, Inc., 5:30-8:30 p.m. at the IU Art Museum

Feb. 1
Chocolate Bingo, hosted by Bloomington Moose Lodge #1081, 6-10 p.m. at the Bloomington Moose Lodge #1081

Feb. 2
Ebony & Ivory: A Night of Delicious Music and Sweet Confections, hosted by the Monroe County Chapter of the American Red Cross, 7-9 p.m. in the Tudor Room at the Indiana Memorial Union

Feb. 3
Chocolate Olympics, hosted by Girls, Inc., 5:30-7 p.m. in the Girls, Inc. gymnasium

Feb. 4
Death by Chocolate: “Cruising for Murder", hosted by Citizen Advocacy of South-Central Indiana, 7 p.m. at St. Mark’s Methodist Church

Feb. 5
Chocolate Prom: A Prom for Everyone, hosted by Rhino’s Youth Center, 8-11:30 p.m. at Rhino’s Youth Center

Feb. 6
Flapjack’s Cocoa Cafe, hosted by Area 10 Agency on Aging, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at the First Presbyterian