Monday, Sept. 30

IU Ballet Department’s production of ‘On the Edge’ canceled

The IU Ballet Department’s production of “On the Edge” – planned to open in two days – has been cut from the schedule.

Stated in a press release, the show was meant to be an “amazing learning experience” for the students in the ballet school because choreographers from the Louisville Ballet and BalletMet were going to create the show.

“This performance was penciled into our schedule a while back, but never produced,” said Alain Barker of the Jacobs School of Music. “ It was not canceled per-say, just never produced.”

Barker explained the Jacobs School of Music has a number of performances set into their schedule that never end up being produced.

It just has to do with event timing and which performances end up actually being possible, he said.

Maria Levy, executive administrator of Opera Theater, said another reason for the cancelation is related to the school’s budget.

“We were not able to do ‘On The Edge’ this year due to budgetary considerations,” Levy said.

There are typically two main events the ballet department coordinates, this year’s being “On The Edge” and a Choreographic Workshop, said Jim Lile Jacobs School production manager.

Due to the unforeseen problems, Lile said this year the IU ballet had to forgo the former.

This experience was meant to broaden the performance experience for the ballet students and give them the performance opportunity.

Having this opportunity would have better prepared the ballet students for a career in the ballet or related fields.

Though “On the Edge” has been canceled, the rest of the spring ballet schedule will continue as planned.

“An American Evening,” the spring ballet at the Musical Arts Center, will be performed at 8 p.m. on March 26 and 27, with a matinee at 2 p.m. on the 27th.

“Our spring show will still be performed as scheduled,” Lile said.