Monday, Sept. 30

Students removed from work-study positions at Waldron

Gallery Director Hannah Carmichael and three other graduate students were pulled from their assistantships at the John Waldron Arts Center.

Carmichael retained her position through her work-study when the Waldron layoffs were announced Wednesday. As a work-study assistant, 90% of her financing comes from the school and not the Bloomington Area Arts Council, she said. However, IU decided the position was too stressful for the students to maintain their positions there.

“If IU doesn’t want me there, then I can’t be there,” she said. “It’s for our well-being, and I understand that. It’s just unfortunate that it had to end like this.”

The assistantships are supposed to be secondary to school work, Carmichael said, with graduate school remaining the primary focus. With the lay-offs announced this week, she would have had added responsibility at the Waldron, in addition to her graduate work and extra practicum projects.

“The point of the assistantship is to be an assistant and I’m already working as a director,” she said. “Right now work is becoming the priority.”

Carmichael has worked at the Waldron since September and took over the role of Gallery Director in December. The three other students were placed at the Waldron in January. One of them had only worked there for four days before they were informed of their removal, Carmichael said.

“It’s a mess right now. I don’t really know what’s going on,” she said. “I don’t really have a choice in the matter.”

The students will be placed at new assistantships next week. Carmichael will start her new position Monday at Wonderlab where she worked as an undergraduate. Friday will be her final day of work at the Waldron, though she said she plans to come back and volunteer when possible, especially with upcoming gallery shows.

“I’ve been telling the artists, ‘Yes, you’re booked. we’re still having your show,’” she said. “I don’t know now. I just don’t know.”

— Caitlin Johnston