Monday, Sept. 30

Waldron Arts Center fights to stay open

Arts Council needs to raise $120K by March 1

The new board of the Bloomington Area Arts Council recently announced it needs to raise $120,000 in less than two months to prevent the John Waldron Arts Center from a permanent close.

The BAAC released a seven-page press release in January outlining what it has discovered during the past 10 months about the BAAC’s accomplishments, shortcomings and current fiscal standing.

Ashley Fisher and  Rob Hanrahan, president and executive director of the council, respectively, were elected to the board last year and have since been aware of the need for a long-term sustainability plan. After examining the reoccurring financial crises, the council’s plan is to raise the money by March 1.

“We’ll do that through a membership drive and through donations,” Hanrahan said. “We have a whole group of loyal supporters who believe that the organization needs to continue.”

In July, the BAAC was suspended from its partnership with the Indiana Arts Commission for the 2009-10 fiscal year, based on an Indiana Arts Commission assessment of governance and management, programs and services, and finances.

January’s report of the past 10 months’ activity found no evidence of systematic membership, fundraising or sponsorship plans, suggesting managerial shortcomings resulting in a lack of public trust and incentive. Hanrahan released a statement that said “a change in the IAC ‘partner’ status does not materially affect the BAAC operation.”

Hanrahan described the council and the Waldron Arts Center as “essentially one and the same.” The Waldron’s disappearance, he said, would significantly impact the town and the University.

“A closing would have as big of an effect on IU as it would on the whole community,” Hanrahan said. “Everyone wants to enjoy the space.”

Susan Sandberg, IU arts administration program director, pointed out the importance of positions and opportunities at the Waldron for students’ educational careers.

“The Waldron should remain an active and inclusive mixed-use facility for quality performing arts, visual arts and arts education,” she said. “It is an important reminder of the City of Bloomington’s investment in the arts.”

For the past two years, for example, the Waldron gallery director has been a graduate student in arts administration.   

“It’s been a wonderful experience,” the current director Hannah Carmichael said. “I am in a position of responsibility here, and it’s really rewarding. It’s an experience I’ll get to take with me to other jobs.”

Financial problems have in some ways been helpful for students like Carmichael, whose position used to be filled by a full-time staff member.   

“With funding cutbacks it’s been really beneficial to have arts administration students fill the position of gallery director,” she said.

Unless $120,000 is raised, the BAAC’s financial problems will have outweighed the solutions. Hanrahan pointed out that the current problems are not solely due to mismanagement but to the shift in the economy that has taken its toll nationwide.

“Last year we received $19,000 in interest income, and this year we received $10,000,”
Hanrahan said. “There’s no mismanagement there, it’s just the way the economy changes.”

In addition, cutbacks in Indiana tax credit assistance plans like the Neighborhood Assistance Program meant a $10,000 decrease in tax credits.

“With each solution to a situation, there’s a new problem,” Hanrahan said. “Now we are faced with the question: ‘How do we afford what we need?’”