Monday, Sept. 30

Waldron lays off paid staff

Waldron

The John Waldron Arts Center has hit another hurdle. All paid staff were laid off yesterday, leaving the organization to rely on volunteerism, Executive Director Rob Hanrahan said. Hanrahan has chosen to stay on as a volunteer director without pay.

“Currently, there is not the cash flow to support the staff, and rather than have them work and not get paid, the trustees thought it was in their best interest to lay them off and leave them eligible for unemployment,” Hanrahan said.

A volunteer orientation will take place next Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. for any individuals interested in working at the Waldron. Possible positions include working at the information desk, gift shop and galleries.

“When you go through something like this you’re really going back to the grass roots of a how a non for profit got started – volunteerism,” Hanrahan said.

Bloomington is famous across the country for its volunteerism, said Evelyn Powers who served as the campaign coordinator for the John Waldron Arts Center Campaign in 1989-90.

“We’ve been honored for it nationally, so of course there are marvelous people in our community who can sign up and volunteer their time and efforts for the Waldron,” Powers said. “But let’s not forget the elephant in the room. The arts council needs money. Who’s gonna give it to them? Where’s it gonna come from? And when are they going to finally get out of debt?”

The announcement came the day after more than 100 artists and community members attended a town meeting to voice their concerns to the Waldron Study Group.

Discussion Tuesday conveyed support for maintaining the Waldron as a sustainable center for the arts, despite current financial distress.

“There was, from what I understand, a lot of positive momentum last night, but it did not change the current financial condition of the arts council,” Hanrahan said. “The reality is we certainly hope there will be support, but until that is actually present in a fiscal sense, it will be hard to continue.”

Feb. 17 would have marked Roger Meridith’s 12-year anniversary as director of the arts education program at the Waldron.

Along with more than 30 other individuals, Meridith spoke to the study group Tuesday, sharing his concerns regarding the Waldron’s future and stressing the importance that it continue as an outlet for arts education.

“The Waldron stands for many things to many people,” he said in his speech to the study group.

Following the news today, Meridith said he is hopeful the study group, community, artists, patrons and arts organizations can all come together and solve this.

“I believe in arts education, and I hope that the Waldron continues in that vein in the future,” Meridith said.

Hanrahan said the board has been meeting on a weekly basis to look at the financial status of the council. The education program will continue, and teachers will be paid accordingly. Staff will be brought in on an individual basis when needed for shows.

“As soon as the council can afford it, they could be hired back,” Hanrahan said.
Gallery Director and graduate student Hannah Carmichael will maintain her position through her work-study program, and might have to take on more responsibilities due to the lack of staff.

“I don’t really know how to digest it at all,” Carmichael said. “I obviously am friends with and care a lot about these staff members, so it’s not going to be the same without them.”