Thursday, Oct. 10

Around Sports

WATER POLO
Hoosiers finish .500 in Triton Invitational

The IU women’s water polo team completed its second road trip last weekend in La Jolla, Calif. The No. 16 Hoosiers (3-4) struggled to find the pace Saturday but rolled through two competitions Sunday, capping the Triton Invitational 2-2.

IU enjoyed a lead most of the game against No. 14 UC Santa Barbara in the first round Saturday but could not hold onto it in the final quarter to win.

The Gauchos scored three goals in the last six minutes, propelling them to make up for an 8-5 deficit and pushing the game into an extra session, where the Hoosiers lost 10-9.
The Hoosiers were back in action later, playing No. 17 California Baptist University. IU fell behind 4-1 early in the second quarter and could not make a comeback. The Lancers stayed ahead, finishing with a 10-9 victory.

Later, sophomore Jakie Köhli tied the school record with six goals in IU’s 15-6 victory over Sonoma State University on Sunday, earning her CWPA Western Division Co-Player of the Week honors.

In the final showdown, IU beat Marist University 8-6, with junior Nicole Redder scoring a team-high four goals.

IU will get on the road again to play four games Feb. 13-14 in the Bison Invitational.

- Kevin Wang

WOMEN'S TENNIS
Hoosiers look to finally overcome injuries

With injuries persisting throughout the season, the IU women’s tennis team has yet to have the entire lineup available for a match. But that might change on Saturday against DePaul.

“Today we had seven of eight girls at practice,” IU coach Lin Loring said. “That’s the most we’ve had in a while. I’m hoping by Saturday maybe we’ll have everybody available.”

Whether or not he has a full team this weekend, Loring said he expects a close match.

According to the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) rankings, IU is No. 49 while DePaul has risen to No. 37. Both teams defeated Wake Forest last week.

This will be the first weekend of the spring season the Hoosiers will not play a doubleheader, though Loring said it will make little difference.

“It just means we have Sunday off,” Loring said.

- Max McCombs