Sunday, Sept. 29

Center’s contest looks for best campus singer

Senior Colleen J. McShay is passionate about music. She has been singing for five years and loves to perform with her church worship group.

On Sunday, McShay had the chance to showcase her musical talent for a panel of judges on campus.

Along with approximately 100 other students, McShay auditioned for the sixth annual “Campus Super Star” competition at the Indiana Memorial Union, organized by the Helene G. Simon Hillel Center. Students who attend any college or university in Indiana were eligible to audition.

Students were asked to sing for about 30 seconds without any accompaniment.
“Campus Super Star” intern Allie Shipper said contestants performed everything from opera and musical theater to pop and jazz pieces.

Volunteer and senior Francie Schrank said that six years ago, Hillel had the idea to put on a singing competition similar to American Idol.

Since then, Schrank said the annual competition has become Hillel’s largest fundraiser.

“It’s definitely a year-long endeavor,” she said.

Approximately 30 semi-finalists will be selected from Sunday’s auditions and next week’s Indianapolis auditions to perform March 24 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

Finalists selected from that show will go on to perform April 18 at the Madame Walker Theatre Center in Indianapolis. The top 10 finalists will receive prizes while the winner will walk away with a $5,000 grand prize.

The competition, Schrank said, provides students with an opportunity to get their start musically but also serves another purpose.

“It’s also a great opportunity for our organization to get our name out there,” she said.