Monday, Sept. 30

Dorms vs. Greek Houses

Greek house

Dormitories

Dorms are the first place students live while in college and have both positive and negatives.

“It all depends on the people in your dorm. The location also determines your social environment and where you eat,” sophomore Olivia Jacobs said.

Many students benefit from the social aspects of a dorm, making friends with both roommates and floormates

On the other hand, some people end up hating the people whom they live so closely with.
“Having an alcoholic roommate would be a very unfortunate situation,” Jacobs said. “Like in the movie '13.'”

An unlikely negative: food in the showers.

“People used to eat in our showers and leave muffin wrappers in the stalls. I saw it every morning,” said sophomore Amy Fontana.

Apartment living

Living in a greek house also comes with a social factor, but one that students have a bit more say in.

“I love having people around me all of the time. My floor in the dorm sucked, so actually having people around is a nice change,” said Lauren Screeden, a sophomore in Alpha Xi Delta.

However, since there are always people around, personal space can be hard to find in a greek house.

“People taking my stuff without asking is a negative to living in the house,” said Claire Murphy, a junior in Phi Mu.

Being in a greek house can also mean less study time.

“Sororities take up time from doing homework, and it gets stressful with grades and constantly having to keep up with everything that is going on all of the time,” said Murphy.