Sunday, Sept. 29

Four IU faculty become 2010 recipients of Fran Snygg award

The winners of the Fran Snygg Endowment Fund and the Fran Snygg Grant for Artistic Collaboration have been announced.

This year’s recipients are Joseph Galvin from the Jacobs School of Music and Gwendolyn Hamm, Elizabeth Shea and Selene Carter from the Department of Kinesiology.

The two awards were established in 1988 and 2002, respectively, in memory of Fran Snygg, professor of modern dance at the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation.

Snygg also found IU’s ArtsWeek, which she guided through its first 10 years. ArtsWeek 2010 will be celebrating its 26th year from Feb. 18 to 28.

Carter’s proposal supports the project “Dancescience Lab” for ArtsWeek 2010. The Jordan Hall atrium is the backdrop for this new contemporary dance performance designed to relate to the architecture of the atrium and the content of cases displaying life forms in varying stages of development.

Shea’s proposal supports a premiere performance of “The Mo(u)rning,” a work that pays homage to the choreographic inventions of Martha Graham.

Shea also received the award for her re-staging of “These Hands,” which examines the complex layers of the lives of women.

Hamm and Galvin’s proposal is in support of the staging of “Interplay: The Relationship between Dance and Rhythm,” exploring the relationship among the elements of rhythm, pattern and texture in dance and music by starting with the most basic of rhythms, the heartbeat.