Thursday, Oct. 10

IU's first-half run shows resiliency

Senior guard Devan Dumes played up defensively for the first half’s last play, a decision that doesn’t usually result in much.

Dumes pressured Illinois’ D.J. Richardson and finished the period with a steal and subsequent half-court attempt.

With a running start, he put the ball in the air – pounding his fist as the shot careened in off the glass and tied the game at 36.

The three points finished a 21-8 IU run to close the half, as the Hoosiers trailed 28-15 before putting on the streak.

IU coach Tom Crean said Dumes’ bucket closed out a resilient response by his team in its 72-70 loss and helped sustain the Hoosier for the rest of the game.

“I think that was the culmination of a very good comeback,” Crean said. “I think it helped lead us into the second half to play at a very high level.”

Contrary to the last contest between these two teams, it was IU that had to play catch-up.

IU led by as many as 15 against the Illini on Jan. 9 before it relented a 66-60 home loss.

On Saturday, Illinois led by 13 at one point in the first half, but it began piling on points as soon as the game began. Playing on its home floor, the Illini seemed more confident as the team built an early 11-6 advantage on forward Bill Cole’s back.

The Hoosiers calmly chipped away at the lead, as freshman guard Jordan Hulls helped bring the game to 13-12 early. Hulls scored eight of IU’s first 12 points in the game, although he wouldn’t score a second-half bucket.

“I was just getting open looks from my teammates,” he said. “They were helping off me, and they were just driving and kicking it. So I was able to knock down some open shots early.”

But the Illini were not done.

They would go on an 11-0 run and dig another hole for the Hoosiers, but they were able to work its way back into the game with free-throw and 3-point attempts. IU was 19-of-23 from the line and shot 40 percent from deep.

After the first half, IU fell behind, but Dumes, sophomore guard Verdell Jones and freshman forward Christian Watford turned up their play.

Jones finished with 22 points and five assists, while Dumes had 11 and Watford scored six, all of which came in the second half.

Jones said Dumes’ shot helped the team entering the latter portion of play.

“It was a big momentum boost,” Jones said. “Tied it up and gave us momentum going into the locker room. And I think that really helped us in the second half.”

The Hoosiers had fought to reach 70-70 before Illinois guard Demetri McCamey hit a last-second shot for an Illinois win, and Crean said he liked the heart his team showed.

“It was great momentum,” he said. “Great momentum into the half, and they were all very excited. They had never flinched when we got down in the first half.”