Sunday, Sept. 29

Swift deserved it?

Only a few weeks ago I wrote that Taylor Swift should take a bit of a hiatus. I might also have implied that she’s not really that talented or good enough for Taylor Lautner – but all in good fun, of course. I figured these comments would slide without much argument.

Then there was Kelly, who left this comment on the Indiana Daily Student Web site: “Taylor Swift will take a break, but not because she needs it. She deserves it.”

This gave me quite a chuckle, because frankly, I didn’t foresee Swift’s album, “Fearless,” winning Album Of The Year at the Grammys. But last Sunday, as Swift cuddled that golden phonograph like it was a Hannah Montana Build-A-Bear, I realized that somewhere Kelly was having the last laugh.

Now, I could apologize and admit I could have been wrong about Taylor Swift. But then, I could scrape my nails across a chalkboard until my ears bleed.

In other words, it’s not happening.

I was willing to accept her Grammy wins in the country music categories because I do think she is doing wonders for the genre. But best album of the year? This essentially means all of the albums produced in the past year just couldn’t shine a light on the album by a girl who wrote a diss song about Joe Jonas.

Look at the competition – I consider their albums much more successful than “Fearless.” Nominee Beyoncé didn’t pull out all the bells and whistles and wind machines in her performance to not win the biggest Grammy of the night.

Sure, she won a record-setting six Grammys for a female performer, but this is the woman who brought an entire SWAT team on stage as she made a fan levitate by the touch of her hand. For Beyoncé, more is more.

Also, how many party anthems do the Black Eyed Peas have to give the dancing population before they are rewarded with best album of the year? Will.i.am’s Gumby haircut will only hold up for so long.

And what about Lady Gaga? The woman who smashed records with just her debut album. She could have tackled Swift with the linebacker shoulder pads she wore during her performance with Elton John.

And have we forgotten about Dave Matthews Band? Okay, don’t answer that.

I pictured any of the other nominees taking home the biggest award of the night. But my surprise at Swift’s victory isn’t because I think she’s completely useless in music – just the opposite, in fact.

I think Swift is proving country music can make a strong cross-over to pop, but she needs to mature her sound.

What makes Beyoncé and Gaga stronger performers than Swift is they know who they are and what they want to portray. However, 20-year-old Swift is stuck between a rock and a high school fairy tale.

But the deed is done, and no matter how much I insist there were plenty of albums that could have beat out “Fearless,” the Recording Academy thinks she deserves it.

Touché, Kelly.