Thursday, Oct. 10

Around sports

Women’s tennis
Hoosiers to begin conference play against Badgers

Just when the IU women’s tennis team appeared to be healthy three weeks ago, No. 3 singles player junior Katya Zapadalova went down with an injury, making Saturday’s home matchup with Wisconsin a toss-up.

“We’re still not really sure who is going to be playing, but I think it’s going to be a pretty good match,” IU coach Lin Loring said. “I think it’s going to be a 4-3 match one way or another.”

Whether Zapadalova will play will be a game-time decision. Sophomore Megan Matter also might play this weekend. She has played only twice this spring due to health reasons.

“We’ll wait and see Saturday if Katya can play,” Loring said. “Megan’s doing a little better. She’s been practicing. We’re probably two weeks away from where we want to be, where we were back in the middle of February. We’re definitely in better shape than we were two weeks ago.”

The matchup with the Badgers will be the spring outdoor opener for the No. 38 Hoosiers. The team spent its spring break playing practice matches outdoors in Florida, and Loring said he is looking forward to similar weather this weekend.

“I’m sure everybody feels like we’re ready to play outside,” Loring said. “It slows the game down a little bit. I doubt Wisconsin has gotten in more outdoor practice than we have, because they haven’t been on their spring break yet. It’s either not a factor, or if it is a factor, it’s in our favor.”
— Max McCombs

Rowing
First Varsity 8 crew leads IU into invitational

After a promising fall and offseason workout regiment, the IU women’s rowing team looks to knock off top competition Sunday at the Indiana Invitational, held in Indianapolis.

“This weekend is about carrying our excitement over from last weekend,” senior Katie Liston said. “We need to build on the momentum and maintain it through the race and season.”

The Hoosiers will be up against in-state foes Notre Dame and Purdue, along with Buffalo and Eastern Michigan. However, IU has a lot to look forward to after a promising spring break trip to Clemson, S.C., in the Clemson Sprints. Clemson came into the event ranked No. 12 in the nation, and IU’s First Varsity 8 crew trailed by a mere five seconds when the race was over.

The Hoosiers will have the benefit of racing in Bloomington the next two weekends with the Big Ten Championships looming on May 1. The Big Ten field has six teams included in the current top 25, including Big Ten rivals Michigan State (No. 7), Michigan (No. 8), Ohio State (No. 10), Wisconsin (No. 17), Iowa (No. 18) and Minnesota (No. 20).

“We’re excited for a great way to start the season this weekend,” Liston said. “The Big Ten is a great conference, so we’re ready to see those opponents in action.”
— Kyle Abrell

Track and field
IU to open outdoor season

Most collegiate sports are split into a season and an offseason.

But for the IU track-and-field team, today marks the beginning of the outdoor season, almost two weeks after some of the same athletes completed their indoor season at the NCAA Championships.

Most of the team has traveled to Tuscaloosa, Ala., to compete in the Alabama Relays, while the remaining 11 athletes will be in Palo Alto, Calif., for the Stanford Invitational.

Sophomore Andrew Poore will be running in California. His 10K race will be the first time he competes in a race that long.

“Outdoor season gets a little bit harder for me,” Poore said. “The training is more intense, and it’s my first time running a 10K, so I really just want to go out there, run a good race and stay competitive.” 

IU coach Ron Helmer will be with Poore and the other runners in the Stanford Invitational. He explained that this meet will not be about setting records.

“We’re not here to hit the big home run and run the best race of our lives,” Helmer said. “But we’re here to run good, solid races to get some solid marks on the board and come home without any ill effects.”
— Avi Zaleon