Sunday, Sept. 29

Fashionable final four

The Final Four tournament is this weekend, and besides wondering who will win or how to possibly salvage your complete failure of a bracket, there is an important question that presents itself before major events such as this — what will I wear?

It may not seem that important now, but no one wants to be “that guy” in the white tee and chinos, sitting among a room full of decked-out fans who only address with him with, “Seriously, guy... Chinos?” 

And maybe you’re not really into what you wear, but it makes a huge difference when watching the game. Here are a few styles to try on:

Die-Hard Fan

You are oozing team spirit. Literally. Your face paint is dripping from your face and onto your special collector’s edition T-shirt you waited in line three hours for at Dick’s Sporting Goods. You don’t mind, though, because that’s the kind of sacrifice champions make.  

Because you spend half the game sitting on a barstool and only get up to yell at the TV after a bad call, obnoxiously pump your fists after a small victory or scramble to the restroom during halftime, you don’t really care about your lower half and probably have on jeans and sneakers. 

If you’re a woman, you’ve coordinated your jewelry to match your team’s colors, finally finding a chance to wear some of your more gaudy accessories.

Mascot

First of all, you are starved for attention, so you stand out the most while watching the game by dressing up as the mascot. Whether you dress up as a bulldog, Spartan, Blue Devil or the weird, coon-capped Davy Crockett-look West Virginia is sporting, you will need to be the most annoying person in the room.

If you see another mascot, there will be a mock-battle that might develop into a brawl. If you bring any accessories with you, like a headband or a musket, you will lose them by the end
of the night.

Classy Casual

Your goal is to watch the game with some friends, have a good time and not incite riots if the games don’t go your way. A jersey with a blazer, pants and flip-flops is a chic way to represent your team while still staying comfortable. Women can color-coordinate with the jersey in a way that looks put together or just wear team colors in a way that isn’t garish.

Root for whatever team you want and wear what you please, but being “that guy” during the Final Four is never a good idea when so much is at stake.