Sunday, Sept. 29

Pay it tribute

Bloomington bands combine fanfare with star similarities.

Bloomington may have seen its fair share of famous musical performers, but there’s also a lot to be said about its tribute band appearances.

Tribute bands offer the look, sound, and attitude of popular musicians and bands, but deliver with the passion of a true fan. Here’s a look at some of the most notable tribute bands to come through Bloomington.

Funky Monks (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

The Funky Monks focus on the Chili Pepper’s radio hits, but also constantly work to develop their song catalogue. The band tours through the Midwest frequently and performed at this year’s Indiana University Dance Marathon. Like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Funky Monks have been through a few guitarists and drummers since the band’s formation in 2003. With vocals that match Anthony Kiedis’ sound and over-the-top stage presence, the Funky Monks give fans a true Red Hot Chili Peppers experience.

Wrong Way (Sublime)

Wrong Way started out as a side project by a few musicians, but after a few shows in Athens, Ga., the band quickly started hitting the road. Smoke machines and elaborate lighting make the band’s performances stand out, but the band still has plenty of musical talent to keep fans coming back. With an intensive tour schedule throughout the South and Midwest, Wrong Way turned a into a full-time career for its musicians.

The Schwag (The Grateful Dead)
The St. Louis-based Grateful Dead tribute band The Schwag began touring after Jerry Garcia’s death in 1995, and has since played over 2,000 shows in 18 states. The jam band makes it a point not to repeat songs from recent shows to give fans a unique experience each time they perform. Die-hard Dead Heads will enjoy the band’s Schwagstocks, the band’s self-made music festivals with music, canoe trips, and a lot of dancing.

Frontiers (Journey)
As the country’s only full-time touring Journey tribute band, Frontiers plays over 150 shows a year. The lead singer also served as a replacement vocalist for Journey in 2007 and was a songwriting contributor on the band’s “Revelation” album, proving that the band is close to the real thing. The band plays at some of the country’s most well-known music venues and sells out shows with their energetic performances.

Who’s Bad (Michael Jackson)
With an international tour schedule, Who’s Bad may be Bloomington’s most famous tribute band. The band covers both Michael Jackson and Jackson Five hits with dead-on vocals and choreography. From Afro wigs and bellbottoms to leather jackets and sequined gloves, the band goes through several costume changes in a night to give the real Michael Jackson experience. Who’s Bad’s goal is to preserve the King of Pop’s legacy through their up-beat performances and perform for Michael Jackson fans that never got the chance to see him live.