Sunday, Sept. 29

Stepping out of your comfort zone

I have enjoyed the smattering of sunshine this week and am now officially ready for winter to be done.

However, as I tried to soak in a few rays, I realized my iPod could use a good spring cleaning.

Between polishing my playlists and erasing holiday music, I’ve compiled some dos and don’ts that should make your portable listening device fresher than using two dryer sheets.

First, expand your musical repertoire. Music artists are always involved in collaborations, and it’s a good way to find music that you wouldn’t think you would be into.

One of my favorites right now is Kid Cudi’s track “Pursuit of Happiness” featuring MGMT. Also, if you listen to the band’s “Electric Feel,” you might be reminded of the spacey feel of Kid Cudi with a more psychedelic groove.

However, there is an exception. Don’t allow the Miley Cyrus and Bret Michaels duet catch on. The single “Nothing to Lose” appeared on the Internet this week, and this was one leak I wish could patch up. The collaboration was one big mistake only a Hannah Montana fan could love, topped with blond extensions and a cowboy hat.

Speaking of blond extensions and random accessories, don’t get caught up in the Ke$ha hype. Yes, “Tic Tok” has all of us feeling like Diddy but looking more like a walk of shame. After listening to her album “Animal,” her party single is really her strongest work.
For some reason, the synth sounds of the album mixed with her style of talking rather than singing gets pretty old pretty fast.

This spring, get acquainted with Mayer Hawthorne. I don’t know how the nerdy white guy from Michigan donning large black-rimmed glasses pulled it off, but in the footsteps of Amy Winehouse and Adele, Hawthorne is making retro-soul cool and refreshing in the midst of an auto-tune music industry.

Though his album “A Strange Arrangement” was released in September 2009, it has yet to make a large splash in the mainstream. Once people catch on to standout songs such as “Just Ain’t Gonna Work Out” and “I Wish It Would Rain,” he’s going to be a force to reckon with.

This spring, it’s all about expanding on what you know and changing it up a bit. After a long winter — and believe me, this one doesn’t seem to want to shake off — it’s healthy to step out of your comfort zone and give an artist a chance.

So if you really feel the need to listen to Bret Michaels and Miley Cyrus, bless you. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.