Thursday, Oct. 10

Streak snapped: IU ends regular season with 88-80 win against Northwestern

basketball v northwestern 15

Better last than never.

Fueled by freshman guard Jordan Hulls' season-high 24 points, IU ended the 2010 regular season and snapped an 11-game losing streak with an 88-80 win against Northwestern on Saturday.

Hulls tallied all his points from beyond the arc, part of a 10-23 team performance from the 3-point line. Sophomore guard Verdell Jones added 18 points, and freshman forward Christian Watford had 14 points to go with his 11 rebounds.

Freshman forward Derek Elston was a definite spark for the team, finishing with 17 points and 8 boards.

The Hoosiers had a chance to seal the game without the extra session, but with the game tied at 69, Jones turned the ball over and a Northwestern prayer fell short.

IU led much of the way in the regular season's climax, taking a 34-28 advantage into halftime. Led by forward John Shurna's 31 points and 12 rebounds, Northwestern didn't go down without a fight, though.

The Wildcats came out of the locker room hot and led by as many as 4 points. But they couldn't settle into their game from deep, shooting a cold 13-42 at the 3-point line.

The Hoosiers, meanwhile, outrebounded the Wildcats by 7 and scored 23 points of 13 Northwestern turnovers.

In their final game at Assembly Hall, seniors Devan Dumes, Tijan Jobe, Steven Gambles and redshirt junior Brett Finkelmeier combined for just 2 points, all from Dumes. Jobe, who got the start, was the only other senior to get more than one minute of playing time, committing two fouls in four minutes.

The Hoosiers will look to extend their season when they begin the Big Ten Tournament on March 11.

—Ryan Winn