Sunday, Sept. 29

Waldron still open despite March 1 closure deadline

After warnings the Bloomington Area Arts Council did not have enough money to keep the John Waldron Arts Center open through March 1, the building was still open and will continue to be.

Talks between the council and the city of Bloomington are ongoing, as the city negotiates to take over ownership of the building and to create a permanent financial fix for the center.

The council released a statement yesterday, reading, “The Bloomington Area Arts Council is pleased to announce that it will continue to operate the Waldron building after March 1 as we continue to work towards a permanent resolution of the status of the Waldron. The continued operation of the Waldron is due primarily to the tireless efforts of our fantastic volunteers. The BAAC Board wishes to thank all of the volunteers and the community for their support.”

The BAAC, which has struggled with the center’s debt, claimed they needed $120,000 by March 1 to keep the arts center from closing.

In January, the BAAC released a seven-page press release outlining what has been ineffective for the organization and what steps should be taken to keep the Waldron open.
For more information on the center’s future and ways to help, visit www.artlives.org/.

— Margaret Ely