Sunday, Sept. 29

Yo-Yo Ma amazes auditorium

Yo-Yo Ma at IU

Perhaps the most famous contemporary classical musician, Yo-Yo Ma has released more than 75 albums and played to millions worldwide, engrossing audiences with his award-winning cello arrangements. Tuesday’s performance at the IU Auditorium was no exception.

In front of a sold out crowd, Ma and accompanying pianist Kathryn Stott performed arrangements by renown composers such as Franz Schubert and Astor Piazzolla.

Ma, typically accompanied by his touring group the Silk Road Ensemble, made a rare personal gesture with his solo performance.

But accompanied or not, Ma’s talent remained unfettered. The multiple Grammy Award-winner kept the audience’s attention with his fleeting fingers and bow, enveloping the audience in rich melodies.

Freshman Grant Williams read about Ma’s performance last summer when the auditorium announced he would be performing. Williams said he knew of Ma’s reputation as a musician, and couldn’t pass up the opportunity to see him perform.

“I knew this was an opportunity you can only get from IU,” Williams said.

Freshman Matt Goodman, who accompanied Williams to the performance, admitted to a lack of interest in classical music before the performance. But after Ma’s performance, Goodman said he has a much greater appreciation for the genre and the performer.

“I thought it was amazing,” he said. “I’ve never heard anything like that. I’ve never been a fan of classical music; I thought it was absolutely amazing.”

Part of Goodman’s impression rested on Ma’s impeccable talent. During the performance, Ma’s sheet music book closed unexpectedly. Ma didn’t miss a beat.

“It’s incredible that he has it all memorized, can do it all with his eyes closed,” Goodman said. “He wasn’t even looking at the sheet music. I saw his book close, and it didn’t even faze him.”

Williams was also impressed with Ma’s talent, and Ma’s performance of Piazzolla’s “Le Grand Tango” pleased him.

“I really liked the Tango,” he said. “I thought that was amazing, how fast he was able to play and make it sound as well as it sounded.”

Maria Talbert, events coordinator for the auditorium, said she, along with the rest of the audience, was enthralled by Ma’s performance.

“I find it, personally, completely spellbinding,” she said, “and I think everybody else in the audience is as well. Everybody I’ve talked to so far has said wonderful things about it.”

Megan Chalfant, a sophomore at Carmel High School, drove down to see the performance after receiving tickets for Christmas. A cellist herself, Chalfant said she was absolutely blown away by Ma’s talent.

“I can’t wrap my mind around it,” she said. “It’s that good.”