Sunday, Sept. 29

Yo-Yo Ma solo at IU Auditorium

Yo-Yo Ma

In a rare performance, one of the world’s most renowned musicians will perform in Bloomington solo.

Cellist Yo-Yo Ma will perform at 8 p.m. today at the IU Auditorium to a sold-out crowd. Ma, who has released more than 75 albums and garnered 15 Grammy Awards, will be accompanied only by pianist Kathryn Stott.

Maria Talbert, events coordinator for the auditorium, said a solo performance from Ma is incredibly rare. He often performs with his group, the Silk Road Ensemble, but due to the circumstances of his schedule, today’s came to fruition.

The cultural reputation of Bloomington did not hurt matters either, Talbert said.
“Knowing that Bloomington is such an impressive place as far as music goes, with the Jacobs School, was attractive to Yo-Yo Ma,” she said.

Ma’s performances are lauded around the world. He has recorded with popular artists such as Bobby McFerrin and performed during President Barack Obama’s inauguration last year.

In an interview with CNN, Ma said his natural curiosity is both the inspiration for his work and the motivation that keeps him moving.

“As a musician I’m kind of nomadic, Waldo-like,” Ma said. “I show up in different places, and I’m witness to unbelievable things. There’s a part of me that’s always charging ahead.”

Ma will perform a number of pieces that span both musical and cultural spectrums, including some composed by Franz Schubert and pieces originating from Brazil and Argentina.

Talbert said each of the pieces will accent what makes Ma’s performances so special.

“Just being in the same room as someone who is so renowned and considered one of the world’s great artists is the beauty of live performance,” Talbert said. “Sharing that energy, sharing that space with someone who is so well respected and is a pinnacle in their field — there’s nothing like it.”