Sunday, Sept. 29

A brilliant Sheen

Stephanie Emenhiser

Despite an almost 50-year career filled with enough memorable roles to certify and ensure a place among legendary actors, Martin Sheen couldn’t help but crack a few jokes about his personal life Monday during his IU Auditorium appearance.

“It’s not easy to be Sheen,” he said.

Sheen was the keynote speaker for this year’s Ralph L. Collins Memorial Lecture Series, sponsored by the Department of Theatre and Drama.

During his visit, the actor conversed with Jonathan Michaelsen, chairman of the Department of Theatre and Drama, in front of a large audience. Sheen focused mainly on his career, both as an actor and political activist, as well as his struggles with alcoholism.

Sheen, best known in recent years for his performance in NBC’s Emmy award-winning “The West Wing,” answered questions, both from the audience and Michaelsen, about his acting career, which spans from his early stage performances in New York City through his most recent roles.

During his speech, Sheen said the key to his success as an actor was his passion for performing.

“If art is not personal to an artist, then it’s impersonal,” he said. “And if it’s impersonal, it has no meaning.”

Sheen also spent a large part of his discussion recalling his life as a political activist and his views on a number of topics, ranging from the Catholic Church to global warming to immigration.

Sheen, who has campaigned for a number of Democratic politicians and spoken out for several political movements, said even though acting is his passion, political activism gives him a purpose.

“While acting is what I do for a living, activism is what I do to stay alive,” he said.
Sheen also has a history with the police. He was arrested in 2007 for trespassing on the Nevada Test Site during a Nevada Desert Experience event protesting against nuclear testing.

Sophomore Drew Tharp came to the lecture knowing Sheen’s acting background but said he was more interested in his role in political activism, referencing Sheen’s work in the documentary “Who Killed The Electric Car?” as a role centered both on Sheen’s acting and activism.

“I’ve always known him more for his acting,” Tharp said. “I was intrigued to hear a little bit more about his political activism.”