Sunday, Sept. 29

Annual Record Store Day draws Bloomington music enthusiasts

Saturday brought hoards of record-loving fans to downtown Bloomington to hear, buy and support music on the third-annual local celebration of Record Store Day.

Landlocked Music, TD’s CDs and LPs, and Tracks drew crowds of hundreds to their stores and the areas outside. Shoppers were treated to sidewalk performances, a Flaming Lips concert ticket drawing and in-store DJ and band sets.

DJs included Craig Bell of Rocket From the Tombs, Goodhands Team, Bloomington High School North teacher Steve Philbeck and David Brent Johnson of WFIU.

Artists Proto Idiot, The Perennials, Remnent and Moscow Moscow Moscow also played sets.

The store was packed with people throughout the day, offering up Record Store Day releases by Wilco, Weezer and MGMT, among others. Gig and movie posters from designing duo Mile44, whose artistic prints have promoted artists including Conner Oberst, Henry Rollins and Dinosaur Jr., were also available to purchase in the store. 

TD’s celebrated the busy day with a 33.3-percent-off sale and crates full of $1 vinyls with a special offer of buying five and getting five for free. Tracks commemorated RSD with sales on thousands of CDs and records, as well as with new releases from Jeff Beck, Natalie Merchant and Straight No Chaser.   

— Lauren Younis