Sunday, Sept. 29

Buskirk-Chumley to feature R&B, funk, soul

IU Soul Revue to demonstrate African-American culture Saturday

AAAI Potpourri

The IU Soul Revue has a reputation for satisfying audiences with sounds of R&B, funk and soul.

Saturday will be no different when the Motown musical student ensemble performs at 8 p.m. at the Buskirk-Chumley Theatre.

“I was in Soul Revue last year, and it was one of the best musical experiences that I ever had,” sophomore Andy Sterneman said. “I’m really excited to see what they’ve done with it this year.”

Senior Nathan Mensah said this concert will show everybody how far he and the other members of Soul Revue have come.

The theme of Soul Revue’s performance is “Soul Speaks,” which signifies the ways in which black popular music has always been a voice of commentary in regards to the societal circumstances of African-Americans. 

“Soul Speaks” also debunks a common notion that soul music is void of depth and value to black culture and mainstream society, Interim Director of Soul Revue Tyron Cooper said. 

“In our performance one should identify at least three ways in which soul music speaks,” he said.

At times soul music expresses a “party and free” atmosphere, Cooper said.
It might also speak about socio-political and economic circumstances that have fostered deep pain, struggle and resistance as well as self-determination and racial pride.

In addition, soul music could highlight various dimensions of love relationships.

“I’ve been following Soul Revue for awhile and am always impressed by the phenomenal talent,” said sophomore Ross Beckman. “I particularly enjoy the musical variety and overall quality of the band.”

The ensemble primarily features horns, male and female vocal lines and a rhythm section.

Joii Cooper, performance director of the IU African-American Arts Institute, said the talents of Soul Revue performers have been appreciated by names such as Thomas “Beans” Bowles, former road manager and musician for Motown Record Corporation, and Michael J. Powell, producer of popular recording artists Patti LaBelle and Anita Baker.

Additionally, many Soul Revue alumni have gone to make a living in the music industry.

These include Lance Tolbert, bassist with Mariah Carey, Crystal Taliefero, musician and backup singer with John Mellencamp, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel and James Strong, band leader and bassist for L.L. Cool J.

“The congregate manifestations of soul music in this concert might prompt one to dance, clap, stomp, shout, laugh, cry and reflect on the myriad ways that soul music expresses a spectrum of meanings and definitions for African-Americans and the broader American social fabric,” Tyron Cooper said. “More importantly, it is our hope that the audience is entertained and enlightened, as they enjoy and realize the grooves and deep implications of black popular music.”