Monday, Sept. 30

Hoosiers not too fat to fight, unlike the rest

There is an alarming number of young adults unable to enlist in the military because they are obese. However, in Indiana, it’s less of a problem.

About 40 percent of Indiana residents between the ages of 18 and 24 are overweight. However, the percentage of obesity amongst young adults between the ages of 18 to 24 in Indiana is one of the lowest in the nation, according to Mission: Readiness, a group of retired military leaders who are concerned with the physical well-being of future military recruits. 

Not only does obesity cause health problems, but Mission: Readiness stresses that it is creating a lack of eligible military recruits.

“If you took 100 people between the ages of 18 and 25 to 26, probably less than 30 meet all the standards to enroll in military,” said Lt. Col. Eric D. Arnold , who is in charge of the Army ROTC program at IU. 

Mission: Readiness claims the obesity trend results from the types of food served in school lunches. Mary Auer, public affairs officer for the army recruiting district in Indianapolis, said she agrees with this claim, but she believes fast food adds to the high obesity rates. 

“It’s so much a part of our culture to stop by and grab some food at McDonald’s or Burger King or whatever,” Auer said.

Shahla Ray, a professor in the School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation, said she agrees the food served in schools, at home and through drive-through windows is a problem. Ray teaches classes in the Department of Applied Health Science, including a class about obesity and health.  

Although Indiana is not one of the worst states for obesity, Ray said it’s important to attack the root of the problem, which is during childhood. 

The standards to enroll in the armed forces include examinations that test potential recruits mentally, physically and morally. 

The Reserve Officers’ Training Corps program recruits young adults who are then trained to become military officers. 

“Obesity is not a big problem here, but it is on the enlisted side,” Arnold said.
U.S. Sen. Richard Lugar (R-Ind.), who recently spoke at a press conference on the new Mission: Readiness report, is pushing for Congress to take action in passing legislation to take high calorie beverages and junk food out of schools. 

Although the number of army personnel has not directly decreased as a result of young adults being overweight, Mission: Readiness believes obesity will have a substantial negative future effect on military numbers if nothing is resolved.  
Arnold said he agrees many factors, including diet and technology, are major culprits of the increasing obesity rate in America and something needs to be done.  

“This is America’s army, we recruit America, and America is getting larger,” Arnold said.