Sunday, Sept. 29

Music, dance in sync

Hammer and Nail

Two renowned IU programs have teamed up for the fifth consecutive year.

At both 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. today and Friday, the Contemporary Dance Program, through the Department of Kinesiology, will present its performance of “Hammer and Nail” at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

The dance is in collaboration with Jacobs School of Music composition students, who teamed up with junior and senior dance majors to create new choreography.
“It’s a wonderful event,” said Elizabeth Shea, a contemporary dance department coordinator.

More than 150 students, Shea said, participated in this year’s program, the largest number in its history, with 17 pairs of composers and choreographers. Shea started the program after coordinating with Jeffrey Hass, a professor of composition, to offer music students the opportunitiy.

“We only had a few students respond the first year, but since it’s really grown.”
Due to an overwhelming response since 2006, the performance this year had to move from it’s original venue in the John Waldron Arts Center to the Buskirk, Shea said.

This year, the program has been split into two presentations, “Program A” and “Program B,” as well as into two nights.

“This event really draws the community,” she said. “It’s great that it can be in the Buskirk.”

Another first for the dance, Shea said, was the integration of live music. Because music is typically pre-recorded, having live music ads a whole new element.
“The musicians delight in seeing their music come to life,” Shea said. “And having music composed for you, for the choreographers, it’s just wonderful.”

— Margaret Ely