Sunday, Sept. 29

Not just for old ladies

There’s a picture that used to hang on my family’s refrigerator door, but it’s been removed to prevent some serious blackmail.

I’m guessing it was taken when I was about 7, because I’m two teeth short of a full grin and my face is, regrettably, framed by a bowl cut. If it weren’t for a giant navy-blue bow holding up a few pieces of hair — Pebbles Flintstone style — I could have easily passed as a boy.

The most horrifying part of the photo is that my sister, mom and I are all matching in paisley-print maroon and navy dresses that look like they are straight out of “Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.” As we stand smiling in front of the Christmas tree, we look like we’re about to churn butter as opposed to adding the finishing touches on our holiday display.

This was the last time I ever wore something from Talbots.

After a few consecutive years of financial distress, the upscale clothing company known for its upper-to middle-aged demographic (and the unfortunate children forced to wear matching ensembles from Talbots Kids) is catering to younger women. Talbots aims to attract younger shoppers while still keeping its older customer base, a trend several retailers are following as a response to poor sales in the recession.

Talbots knew that it’s considered a brand for older women — which limits its clientele — but they didn’t know how old. According to an article in Monday’s Wall Street Journal, Trudy Sullivan, Talbots’ chief executive officer, said that a survey conducted a few years ago revealed that women 65 years old and up thought Talbots was for “someone older.”

This news, coupled with hundreds of millions of dollars in debt, signaled the need for change. The retailer’s upcoming fall line includes trendier jeans, slim jackets and stylish details such as sequined-lined garments and leopard prints. With help from several shareholders and an elaborate creative deal, the retailer hopes to eliminate its granny image.

Other retailers for older women such as Ann Taylor and Lane Bryant have also tried to target younger women, but Talbots is taking it a step further. Some of its stores have taken on a more modern design and layout, making younger women more likely to step through Talbots’ red-trimmed doors.

It also doesn’t hurt that Michelle Obama has been photographed wearing Talbots, which created free publicity for the company as it tries to appear more hip.

I can’t say for sure if Talbots will ever shake its old-lady image. This fall marks an important time in the retailer’s future, as well as other brands trying to reach younger women while still keeping current customers happy.

But I will say if anything they put out this fall looks like the clothes in my photo, there will be trouble.