Wednesday, Oct. 9

Around Sports

BASKETBALL

Former Hoosier and current NBA player DJ White will host his second annual DJ White Hoosiers Star Basketball Camp. The camp will be Sept. 18 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Twin Lakes Recreation Center. The camp is open to children aged 6-14.

On May 15th,, former four-star Warren Central recruit Walter Offutt chose where he will play next season. Offutt started his collegiate career at Ohio State before transferring his sophomore year to Wright State. After Wright’s coach, Brad Brownell, left for Clemson, Offutt opted to transfer again, declaring a few weeks ago that it would be a decision between Indiana and Ohio University. But because he played at Ohio State as a scholarship player, he could not accept a scholarship from IU and would have to pay his own way. Offutt decided last night that he would attend Ohio.

MEN’S SOCCER

The men’s soccer team added a new recruit, Ambry Moss, on Thursday. Moss, a native of New Providence, Bahamas, signed a national letter of intent and will join the Hoosiers this fall. Moss has spent the last three years playing at the IMG Academy in Florida, helping the IMG squad to a third-place finish at the U-18 Development Academy National Championship in July 2009. He was also named the Most Improved Player and Defensive Player of the Year during his stint at IMG. Moss joins a 2010 recruiting class consisting of nine other athletes.

WOMEN’S TENNIS

The IU women’s tennis team ended its 2010 season this weekend with an NCAA tournament first-round loss against No. 28 Vanderbilt. The Commodores (14-9) defeated the Hoosiers 4-0, dropping the team to 15-10 on the season. Indiana finished the season ranked No. 41. The Hoosiers have made the tournament 27 times during Coach Lin Loring’s 33-year tenure.

SOFTBALL

The regular season ended more abruptly than expected on Saturday when the Hoosiers’ game against Penn State was called in the third inning because of weather. Even though Penn State was up two runs at the time, the game must complete five innings to be counted as a full game. The Hoosiers (12-36) finished their season with a 4-14 record in conference play, ranking them 10th among the Big Ten.
Saturday also marked IU’s senior night as six seniors played their last three innings of softball in Hoosier uniforms. They were honored prior to the game.

WRESTLING

The 2010-2011 wrestling team will add 11 new members to its team, ranking it seventh in the county, according to rankings by Intermat. Five members of the recruiting class are ranked in the top 100 individually, including No. 25 Ryan Nieman, No. 36 Brandon Wright, No. 73 Taylor Walsh, No. 92 Joe Duca and No. 100 Preston Kieffer.

--Candice Rohrman