Wednesday, Oct. 9

Around Sports

Men’s Basketball

IU missed out on Walter Offutt last weekend and this week decided to not pursue Tennessee transfer Emmanuel Negedu. Negedu suffered from cardiac arrest while working out at Tennessee and sat out the 2009-10 season. After Tennessee doctors refused to clear him, he decided to transfer.

Negedu had interest in IU, but IU reportedly did not want to take the risk, even though IU doctors had cleared him to play. Negedu will instead be playing for another Hoosier, former IU player Steve Alford at New Mexico. Alford originally recruited the 23rd-ranked recruit from the 2008 class while he coached at Iowa.

Women’s Basketball

Jori Davis still has one year of eligibility left in her Indiana career, but that hasn’t stopped her from being mentioned in 2011 WNBA mock drafts. The mock draft projected Davis to go in the third round with the No. 32 pick. Only one other Big Ten player is projected in the first three rounds, Ohio State’s Jantel Lavender. Lavender is projected at the No. 3 pick.

Men’s Tennis

Senior-to-be Lachlan Ferguson recently was named the 2010 Ohio Valley regional nominee for the ITA/Rafael Osuna Sportsmanship Award. The award is given to a men’s tennis player who has exemplified character, excellent academics and sportsmanship, as well as success on the tennis court. In the 2010 season, Ferguson was 12-6 in dual matches and had an 18-8 record in dual match doubles. His 69 career doubles wins ranked him seventh in school history.
“Lachlan competed very hard during his time at Indiana,” IU coach Randy Bloemendaal said in a press release. “While competing hard, I believe he did an outstanding job of representing Indiana University. He also demanded integrity and sportsmanship on the court with his teammates during practice as well as in matches.”

Softball

Senior outfielder Jennifer Glueckert has been named to the Second Team All-Big Ten. This is her first conference honor and is the first time an IU player has been named to either the first or second team since 2006. Glueckert led the Hoosiers with a .365 overall average and led the team with nine doubles and three triples. In conference play her batting average was even higher, as she hit a .389. She also had multiple hits in six games and committed only one error in Big Ten play.
“Jennifer was our most consistent player this season, and she really kicked it into another gear when the Big Ten season started,” Indiana coach Michelle Gardner said in a press release. “She was outstanding and is certainly deserving of this honor, and I couldn’t be happier for her.”

Track and Field

High jumper Derek Drouin and thrower Faith Sherrill were selected as Big Ten Field athletes of the year. Also, eight Hoosiers earned All-Big Ten honors. First team honors went to Molly Beckwith, Drouin, Andrew Poore, Sherrill and De’Sean Turner. Second team honors went to Kelsie Ahbe, Sarah Pease, and Ashley Rhoades.
“We had several student-athletes really step up and perform well at the Big Ten meet,” Indiana head coach Ron Helmer said in a press release. “Any time you can get eight people performing at an All-Big Ten level, good things are going to happen. It was nice to have five of our kids win Big Ten titles in front of a home crowd.”

--Candice Rohrman